Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

AMX iPhone app

Comments

• jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    amdpower wrote: »
    Why did I sense this coming? I really hope this comes out and isn't just bought and buried. :(

Like I think someone mentioned, with Apple inevitably introducing the "iTablet" (or whatever it'll be called) and with an application like this - I could see it start to cut into the sale of TPs.

I'd venture to guess they'd bury it . . . though I've been known to be wrong more often than not.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    jjames wrote: »
    Like I think someone mentioned, with Apple inevitably introducing the "iTablet" (or whatever it'll be called) and with an application like this - I could see it start to cut into the sale of TPs.

I'd venture to guess they'd bury it . . . though I've been known to be wrong more often than not.

At the very least I hope AMX buys it and quickly limits the resolution so it will still work with the iPhone, but will not work with the tablet.

It would be extremely nice if they bought it and released it as is, but I don't see that happening.
  • amdpoweramdpower Posts: 110
    I wonder how much of a profit is in the sale of a panel to the dealer when you factor in engineering, manufacturing, etc. Unlike other companies, AMX doesn't use some off the shelf pre-manufactured panel. If you had a software package that sold for a few hundred dollars, I bet you could still make a pretty penny. But hey, maybe we are all off and it isn't AMX. Who knows.
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    Disappointed

I guess I'm disappointed because this doesn't look that positive for this particular app.

It need not necessarily be AMX buying them but if it is then it seems more likely that is being bought to be shelved. I'm certain AMX have the capability to produce a high quality fully featured app if they thought it sensible and in that case I'm sure they don't need to buy in expertise or a finished product.

If it is a defensive move (buy it and bury it) then I think it's a short sighted move. The genie is out of the bottle, people's expectations of what devices should do (and cost) have been changed by the iPhone. AMX may well wish that the iPhone (and all the rest of them) didn't exist but that's irrelevant. A strategy based around confounding consumer expectations is the strategy of a product or brand being managed through the final years of its life.

If I pop a happy pill for a second...there is another way of looking at this. Wouldn't it be great if AMX had looked at this company and thought "Great, let's buy it, polish it, release it and into the bargain deny what looks to be a beautiful app to our competitors."

What do you think? Red pill or blue?
  • Unless the company is in discussions with one of the other brands mentioned on their site (formally) who might wish to prevent a competitive product being released to their own detriment! Stranger things have happened.

I agree why would AMX buy TPControl, when they can role their own in house.

Disappointed sums it up - mainly as I wanted to know what budget they were pitching this at. Time will tell I guess...
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    The man who sells water realized long ago that he can't stop the rain.
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    The man who sells water realized long ago that he can't stop the rain.

True. Working with a stronger competitor is not stupid. Doing so and not carving out a market position or making money is stupid. Time for a beer, I'm just getting depressed.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Is this the place I get to say, "I told you so..." :P
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    iainshaw wrote: »
    If it is a defensive move (buy it and bury it) then I think it's a short sighted move.

I don't really see that being a possibility. AMX could buy the product to bury it but then who's to stop another company doing the same thing? I don't think AMX can afford to buy every company that comes along with an AMX iPhone app. My guess would be they are in discussion with AMX about leasing the software.
    Paul
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    At this point, it seems to be a growing trend to embrace the smart phone devices. Ignoring the trend or trying to force it to stop seem like pointless approaches. Either approach is bound to end badly. One can either try to make the market adapt to the products they have, or they can adapt their product offering to meet the demands of the market. In my mind, this is sort of like wishing in one hand and.....well you know :)

I am not sold on smart phones or even iTablets being the end-all be-all solution, but the market seems to be moving towards supporting them or even relying on them. If AMX has good reasons why they will not work, I would love to have a whitepaper that details the shortcomings of a smartphones and PC based applications when compared to AMX products. Something that justifies the higher costs and smaller feature sets. I personally agree with others in the thought that smart phones and tablets are a good supplement to a control system, but native wired devices are still necessary.

I don't want to hear luxury as a justification. The reason that luxury works for cars and artwork is that the market has supported this fact in that these items generally appreciate in value. There are also limits to how many are available and supply and demand come into play. With home automation systems, I have yet to see a single one appreciate in value. Even when you compare a Ferrari to a GM, there are marked differences in performance and power that a buyer can use to justify the cost difference.

Just my two cents,
    Jeff
  • a_riot42 wrote: »
    I don't really see that being a possibility. AMX could buy the product to bury it but then who's to stop another company doing the same thing? I don't think AMX can afford to buy every company that comes along with an AMX iPhone app. My guess would be they are in discussion with AMX about leasing the software.
    Paul

Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't AMX been buying every company in sight over the last couple of years with Mr. Skaf at the helm? I'm also very disappointed that this was not released.

All I would like to know is this - does AMX plan to design an application for iPod/iPhone users to interface with AMX products? No? Ok, then I will continue with web based UI's on better hardware purchased at far less than the cost of a touch panel. My guess is that AMX's response could be, "There will be no app for the iPhone. We will still try and force our clunky lineup of the aweful, barely legible MVP-7500 and the wickedly overpriced 8400. Or you can just buy a CV7 and the optional wireless card and the optional battery base and have a completely awkward and even more clunky wireless touch panel."

The touch panel as AMX knows it is dead. Do they know that? Are there any plans for a new generation of touch interfaces? I have seen or heard nothing. Does anyone have information on this? Personally it doesn't affect my home system. I will just continue to use web pages through my Touch to control all of my audio zones, master bed, TV room and whatever else I feel like throwing at it. Imagine how much cooler those web interfaces could be when using an Archos 9 or Apple's new tablet with Flash support.
  • amdpoweramdpower Posts: 110
    Well, I'm going to correct you because you are a little wrong. The MVP-7500 has been discontinued for quite some time. I believe you should be looking at MVP-5200i series. Lightweight, better battery-life, better looking. I still want my iPod Touch app though. :(
  • amdpower wrote: »
    Well, I'm going to correct you because you are a little wrong. The MVP-7500 has been discontinued for quite some time. I believe you should be looking at MVP-5200i series. Lightweight, better battery-life, better looking. I still want my iPod Touch app though. :(

Listed as "LTD" on the website, BTW. Didn't consider the 5" versions because of the absurd price/inch.
  • JeffJeff Posts: 374
    the 5000 series have their own problems. Better looking, as long as you don't, y'know, actually touch it, because they have the WORST fingerprint issues on the bezel. Speaking the bezel, it's twice as big as the actual screen . . . shaped kind of like my old NEC laptop from 1987. Also, while the battery life is good, the wireless range really isn't. Not to mention the fact that you're still requiring me to carry the thing around and find a place to set it, which isn't necessary on a pocket sized panel (like . . say . . . an iPhone).

For my money, I want an iPhone interface to the system. I want a larger panel for overall control, but if I'm sitting on the couch, I don't want to have to go over to the wired panel to change the volume or the channel, and I don't want to have to find an end table for the panel to sit on. Sure, I could get an R4 for every room, but they still have to sit on chargers, so they won't just be convenient. On the other hand, I can't remember the last time I was on the couch, wearing pants, and didn't have my iPhone with me. :)

I know you're saying "Why would they create an iPhone app and cut off a potential revenue stream from panels?" Because they have to in order to keep up with customers desires. People WILL go to something else if AMX doesn't provide a solution.

Think of it this way: If Apple refused to provide a windows version of iTunes, people would buy more Zunes. Some people would buy Macs just to use iPods, but far more people would stick with their PC and get a Zune or something. You can say "but providing a windows version of iTunes lets people buy $200 iPods from the company when you could be selling them $2000 computers," but it seems to be working out for them. By choosing to acknowledge reality (people want their mp3 player to sync with the computer they already have, not require a new computer), they've opened up an entirely new revenue stream.

It's time for AMX to acknowledge reality (people want AMX quality control with the touchpanels they already own). This opens up a HUGE new market in low end residential stuff, where you can sell entire systems+an iTunes license for less than the cost of an MVP-8400. That doesn't mean you're going to lose the market for MVP-8400s (the same way people haven't stopped buying Macs just because you don't need one for an iPod).

J
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    tracktoys wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't AMX been buying every company in sight over the last couple of years with Mr. Skaf at the helm? I'm also very disappointed that this was not released.
    Technically, AMX was bought out first, and the parent company is coughing up the $$ to buy these other companies. I doubt AMX as it was originally had the buying power to acquire companies like Autopatch, etc.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Jeff wrote: »
    Think of it this way: If Apple refused to provide a windows version of iTunes, people would buy more Zunes. Some people would buy Macs just to use iPods, but far more people would stick with their PC and get a Zune or something. You can say "but providing a windows version of iTunes lets people buy $200 iPods from the company when you could be selling them $2000 computers," but it seems to be working out for them. By choosing to acknowledge reality (people want their mp3 player to sync with the computer they already have, not require a new computer), they've opened up an entirely new revenue stream.

I think that this thought is spot on for this discussion. Had apple not acknowledged a major market share holder with iTunes, we might not even be having this discussion right now :)

Jeff
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Jeff wrote: »
    This opens up a HUGE new market in low end residential stuff, where you can sell entire systems+an iTunes license for less than the cost of an MVP-8400.
    I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there's a small "recession" going on . . . the low end market is pretty much gone right now. Sure - there are people out there still spending in the low end, but I'd venture to bet they're the type of people who bought a home worth 5 x their annual income on an adjustable rate loan.

Working for a company who does (did) a lot of high end and low end resi for the past 5-10 years . . . we're seeing the low-end dry up very quickly right now.
    jjames wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there's a small "recession" going on . . . the low end market is pretty much gone right now. Sure - there are people out there still spending in the low end, but I'd venture to bet they're the type of people who bought a home worth 5 x their annual income on an adjustable rate loan.

Working for a company who does (did) a lot of high end and low end resi for the past 5-10 years . . . we're seeing the low-end dry up very quickly right now.

Depends on where you live. In Washington DC, where I live, the recession isn't NEARLY as bad as it is elsewhere, because nothing can stop government spending. I'm fairly sure that people who would've bought MVP-5200s before would much rather buy iPhone apps now :)

J
  • jjames wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there's a small "recession" going on . . . the low end market is pretty much gone right now. . . . we're seeing the low-end dry up very quickly right now.

and that is exactly when you should be launching low investment, highly profitable low end solutions! Like a iPhone app - that will drive you new business...
  • As an end user my 2 bits worth.
    I have Panels placed strategically all over the house. Never have I sat down at a tv and started to look for a panel.
    Having said that just as the previous user said I have my IPHONE with me all the time in my house. Dont move without it. More times than not (with power failures etc) my MVP panels need to be calibrated. I am using JAADU VNC on my IPHONE way more than my panels..I hardly ever touch my panels anymore and use my IPHONE VNC constantly.
    I setup the vnc myself really very easy to use and do.
    I would never pay for an Iphone AMX app..but obviously to replace a panel hmm theres a thought.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Okay, sorry if I'm not up to speed.

I got the email saying they were delaying the release. Is all this chatter here saying that AMX has officially pulled the plug on it or is this all just speculation on the part of us grumpy forum members?

I haven't heard any news to confirm nor deny any of this apart from the official company email.
    In other news, has anyone here actually used iRidium, the other possibility for this right now? I can't get it to work correctly myself and was wondering if anyone had actually had success.

J
  • Jeff wrote: »
    In other news, has anyone here actually used iRidium, the other possibility for this right now? I can't get it to work correctly myself and was wondering if anyone had actually had success.

J

Yes, I've got it working here right now. What can't you get to work?
    I got everything installed just fine, it pulls the panel down to the iPhone, but it won't connect to the master. the computer and the master are all on the same network, it connects to the computer just fine, but I get no connectivity to the master. Momentary buttons blink correctly and look great . . . but nothing happens.

Is there any way in NS Studio to see if this thing connects?

J
  • It should show in the tree as another device as normal.

Do you have a key from iRidium?

Are you using the internal or external IP connection?

Sorry never had any problems connecting - did have a few issues with reconnects when losing wifi, but these were fixed in a later version...
    Got a key from 'em, and I'm using the internal connection. Nice to know that I should expect to see it in the device tree though

EDIT: Is there a way to create a 480/320 panel in TP4? or just 480/272?

J
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    ericmedley wrote:
    Is all this chatter here saying that AMX has officially pulled the plug on it or is this all just speculation on the part of us grumpy forum members?
    From what I can tell it's all just speculation. Now to take it a step further who really knows what TPC was all about, they had a website with cool pics and text but that doesn't mean they had or will have a real product. They're probably legit but who really knows for sure, only the shadow?

Alas we may never know and I'll just keep sitting at my desk hoping and wondering where this adventure will lead us.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    vining wrote: »
    ericmedley wrote:

From what I can tell it's all just speculation. Now to take it a step further who really knows what TPC was all about, they had a website with cool pics and text but that doesn't mean they had or will have a real product. They're probably legit but who really knows for sure, only the shadow?

Alas we may never know and I'll just keep sitting at my desk hoping and wondering where this adventure will lead us.

There were videos of the app in action on Youtube. I doubt anyone would go to all the trouble of faking that but perhaps if you were an unemployed AMX programmer and wanted to have some fun....
    Paul
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    a_riot42 wrote:
    I doubt anyone would go to all the trouble of faking that but perhaps if you were an unemployed AMX programmer and wanted to have some fun....
    Completely agree but wouldn't it be funny if it was a hoax and to go from the begining of this thread when learned about TPC's cool app to be released shortly to where we are now where AMX bought the right's or killed off the creators has been an interesting journey of various speculations. I just can't wait to find out where this journey will end and I hope it ends with an app from someone, preferably AMX but I'll take it from anyone. Of course I think a 3rd party who created it would have better resources available to continue support and development considering we still have Keypad Builder and other apps that haven't gotten any attention from AMX in years. I guess if it doesn't get ok'd by the bean counter it doesn't get attention. Instead of "if we fix it they will come" we get "if they don't come we won't fix it" and of course we don't come cuz we know it's broke.
  • Anything new on this? It would be a shame if it gets bought and buried as has been shared. What are alternatives that others are using? Has anyone used iMaster? Any thoughts on iMaster vs iRidium? Does anyone have a link to iRidium as I can't find anything?Thanks.