DXLINK CONNECTIVITY PROBLEM

Hi,

We encountered connectivity problem with the DXLINK RX device. With our initial set-up we were able to control, send image via the DXLINK RX device but the time we transferred the set-up to another location we can't even see it in the Online Tree. We tried resetting but it didn't help. We tried VIA ICSLan and it an be detected in the Online Tree but VIA DXLINK hopeless.


SET-up: Laptop ---- DVX3155HD
DXlink output
DXlink RX
PROJECTOR

DX LINK MODEL: FG1010-500 HDMI-RX AVB-RX-DXLINK-HDMI, DXLINK HDMI HDCP RX W SCALER



Need your assistance if anyone encountered this problem.


Thank you.

Comments

  • DXLink RX

    Make sure to read and follow the instructions in tech note 1004.

    http://www.amx.com/techsupport/techNote.asp?id=1004
  • HARMAN_ChrisHARMAN_Chris Harman Professional University Posts: 293
    sherwihn,
    Are there other DXLink items in the system? In your original set-up, was there a router connected handing out DHCP addresses?

    Based on what you showed in your post, there did not appear to be a router in the system. As a result, several things can be happening. One common problem that integrators face occurs when multiple DXLink units are powered up and they cannot find a DHCP server, or are all unconfigured and have been placed in static IP mode. All of the units will revert to identical IP addresses and will step on one another as you try to connect.

    By default, the devices are looking for a DHCP address and if they do not receive one, they will use 169.254.2.2

    If the DXLink unit (TX or RX)is placed into Static IP mode, they will use 192.168.1.2 by default. For your DVX to communicate with the device, it will need to be within the same subnet as the DXLink unit (TX or RX).

    My overriding suggestion here would be to pull the DVX and DXLink devices onto a temporary private network that has a DHCP server (return devices to facility network once configuration steps are complete). Ensure the DVX has an IP in the same subnet as the DHCP range. Factory default the DXLink units if needed and then use studio to open a telnet session with the units. Use telnet to issue the 'set connection' 'set device <dev num>' and 'set ip' commands to the DXLink unit - then use telnet to issue 'reboot' to store the settings.

    If this post is not helpful in getting your communications up and going, I suggest you contact technical support for additional troubleshooting options on this product.
  • sherwihnsherwihn Junior Member Posts: 3
    B_Clements wrote: »
    Make sure to read and follow the instructions in tech note 1004.

    http://www.amx.com/techsupport/techNote.asp?id=1004


    Hi Clements. Thank you for your feedback. Will check on that one next week for our next scheduled visit on site.
  • sherwihnsherwihn Junior Member Posts: 3
    AMX_Chris wrote: »
    sherwihn,
    Are there other DXLink items in the system? In your original set-up, was there a router connected handing out DHCP addresses?

    Based on what you showed in your post, there did not appear to be a router in the system. As a result, several things can be happening. One common problem that integrators face occurs when multiple DXLink units are powered up and they cannot find a DHCP server, or are all unconfigured and have been placed in static IP mode. All of the units will revert to identical IP addresses and will step on one another as you try to connect.

    By default, the devices are looking for a DHCP address and if they do not receive one, they will use 169.254.2.2

    If the DXLink unit (TX or RX)is placed into Static IP mode, they will use 192.168.1.2 by default. For your DVX to communicate with the device, it will need to be within the same subnet as the DXLink unit (TX or RX).

    My overriding suggestion here would be to pull the DVX and DXLink devices onto a temporary private network that has a DHCP server (return devices to facility network once configuration steps are complete). Ensure the DVX has an IP in the same subnet as the DHCP range. Factory default the DXLink units if needed and then use studio to open a telnet session with the units. Use telnet to issue the 'set connection' 'set device <dev num>' and 'set ip' commands to the DXLink unit - then use telnet to issue 'reboot' to store the settings.

    If this post is not helpful in getting your communications up and going, I suggest you contact technical support for additional troubleshooting options on this product.


    Hi Mr Chris,
    By the way we are using a router since in the system. There's other equipments involved in the System that i havn't included in the post. Sorry for that.

    1st DXLink device.
    LAPTOP
    >DXLINK INPUT OF DVX3155HD)--DVX-3155HD
    > DXLINK OUTPUT 1 OF DVX3155HD
    >DXLINK RX
    via ICSLAN
    >> PROJECTOR

    2nd DXLink device.
    DVX-3155HD
    > DXLINK OUTPUT 3 OF DVX3155HD
    >DXLINK RX
    via ICSLAN
    >> LED TV



    Update: static IP's of the devices
    DVX-3155HD (192.168.90.99)
    DX-LINK RX 1 (192.168.90.5) Device number: 5401
    DX-LINK RX 2 (192.168.90.6) Device number: 5402

    Already set NDP connection mode. But so far it still can't be found in the Online Tree. By next week we will visit the site again. Im going to reset the device and start over again. Hopefully everything will work fine.

    Will update you again next week regarding these matters.

    I really appreciate all your comments that will actually give me hope to resolve this matter.



    THank you.


    Sherwin
  • edgelitocedgelitoc Junior Member Posts: 160
    In weeks time I will be programming a DVX-2155, Upon researching I was stomp on what command shoud I send to control TV via DXlink receiver. Let say I have an NEC TV which connected via DXlink in output 3, how would you send the codes to control the power and input selection of TV.
  • TechFreakTechFreak Junior Member Posts: 39
    edgelitoc wrote: »
    In weeks time I will be programming a DVX-2155, Upon researching I was stomp on what command shoud I send to control TV via DXlink receiver. Let say I have an NEC TV which connected via DXlink in output 3, how would you send the codes to control the power and input selection of TV.

    Once the DXLink receiver is configured correctly to a native device ID (ie. 5401:1:0) and communicating with the master, the RS232 port on that device is port #1. Define your device just like you would if it was an NI3100 RS232 port and send the commands/strings to that device.

    Frank Krauch, CTS, ACE Control Expert
  • edgelitocedgelitoc Junior Member Posts: 160
    TechFreak wrote: »
    Once the DXLink receiver is configured correctly to a native device ID (ie. 5401:1:0) and communicating with the master, the RS232 port on that device is port #1. Define your device just like you would if it was an NI3100 RS232 port and send the commands/strings to that device.

    Frank Krauch, CTS, ACE Control Expert

    thanks, that was a big help
  • bbrilesbbriles Junior Member Posts: 6
    DVX-2155HD

    I have had multiple problems connecting DVX-2155HD systems to HDMI-RX receivers through the DXLink output 3. I have everything configured(master at 192.168.1.20, RX at .23 device 6003, DXLink enet AUTO, dip switches 1 and 3) after rebooting or reloading the same firmware files I can finally get the RX to appear in the online tree. Then it just falls off the system. I can still pass video but no longer control or see the RX. I have had the same problem with multiple systems, multiple cables, locally powered RX, reset the DX card and I have even had AMX send replacement units but this problem keeps coming back. I have seen this problem with different programs and even with the program disabled. I've looked for others with the same issue but I haven't seen any posts. Am I the only one that is experiencing this?
  • HARMAN_ChrisHARMAN_Chris Harman Professional University Posts: 293
    Hello,
    When the RX stops communicating, have you checked to see if another device has stepped on the assigned IP address? -- Can you try it in DHCP mode in an attempt to rule this out?

    What firmware version is on the DVX and what is on the RX?

    Are other netlinx master's visible to the RX unit on the network? -- If so, can you ensure that the RX is bound to your desired controller with the telnet command 'set connection <master IP>'. When troubleshooting DXLink end points, I tend to first check the dip switches and it sounds like you have done that. I then factory reset them. Finally, I isolate them on a private network with the target netlinx controller and telnet into the DXLink endpoint and issue 'set ip' , 'set device <number>', and 'set connection'. Once set, I then return them to the regular network environment. Isolating them is more for simplifying my configuration steps and not a technical requirement. When in a larger network, there is a greater chance of mis-identifying the box you are trying to talk to. I have configured 'the wrong box' multiple times and have learned to isolate my devices until they are properly configured.
  • bbrilesbbriles Junior Member Posts: 6
    Firmware is all up to date. 5001-1.31.6, 5002-1.6.31, 6003-1.9.17. Stand alone network. If I disable the DxLink ethernet from output 3 and connect the RX ethernet port to my network switch directly everything works great. From this problem and multiple other systems just like this it seems there is a hardware issue with DxLink output 3 providing ethernet to the RX.
  • Danny CampbellDanny Campbell Senior Member Posts: 311
    additional steps

    In addition to the suggestions from Chris, I also will take the step of attaching the RX/TX box to the DXLINK port on the DVX using a short patch cable that I know works. This eliminates (or proves) cable issues.

    The other thing I have had the best luck with is on the web interface for the switch (device 5002?) I go into the System tab and set the Auto check mark on for each of the DXLINK ports.

    In one site I worked on, we had the CAT6 cables running alongside each other from the rack to two RX units in the conference room. With the cables being run side-by-side over the long distance, the two RX devices would take turns showing up in the online tree.
  • rfletcherrfletcher Junior Member Posts: 217
    In addition to the suggestions from Chris, I also will take the step of attaching the RX/TX box to the DXLINK port on the DVX using a short patch cable that I know works. This eliminates (or proves) cable issues.

    The other thing I have had the best luck with is on the web interface for the switch (device 5002?) I go into the System tab and set the Auto check mark on for each of the DXLINK ports.

    In one site I worked on, we had the CAT6 cables running alongside each other from the rack to two RX units in the conference room. With the cables being run side-by-side over the long distance, the two RX devices would take turns showing up in the online tree.

    Shielded or unshielded cable?
  • Danny CampbellDanny Campbell Senior Member Posts: 311
    rfletcher wrote: »
    Shielded or unshielded cable?

    If you mean the long run that I had problems with it was shielded CAT6. The problem was the installers hadn't read the DXLINK cabling white paper and had cable-tied the two together at intervals during the entire run.

    For my direct-connect testing purposes I use a standard 10' Ethernet patch cable.
  • rfletcherrfletcher Junior Member Posts: 217
    If you mean the long run that I had problems with it was shielded CAT6. The problem was the installers hadn't read the DXLINK cabling white paper and had cable-tied the two together at intervals during the entire run.

    For my direct-connect testing purposes I use a standard 10' Ethernet patch cable.

    Yeah I was asking about the long run. Wow, he must have zip tied the hell out of that cable. I'm amazed it worked at all.
  • bbrilesbbriles Junior Member Posts: 6
    All these issues are in the shop with a 12' CAT6 shielded patch cable laying across an open floor of the shop. When I left the system today it was running fine using a separate CAT5 for ethernet. If I try to use only the DXLink it stays online after a reboot and finger crossing for 1-2 minutes then falls off. I disabled all the commands going to the device for ETH Auto just to make sure the program wasn't causing the issue.
Sign In or Register to comment.