Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

New IDE

Did everyone see the AMX newsletter from ISE 2013 that hints at a new IDE coming in Q2? AMX Design Suite. Anyone hear anything about this or see it demo'ed at ISE?

Frank Krauch

Comments

• TechFreak wrote: »
    Did everyone see the AMX newsletter from ISE 2013 that hints at a new IDE coming in Q2? AMX Design Suite. Anyone hear anything about this or see it demo'ed at ISE?

Frank Krauch

Could you post a link to this or paste the text? ...I was unable to locate any newsletters talking about this.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • nickmnickm Posts: 152
    Saw it. Emailed one of my contacts at AMX HQ for more info. Quite the random bomb to drop.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    Could you post a link to this or paste the text? ...I was unable to locate any newsletters talking about this.

Thanks,
    Paul

http://www.amx.com/newsletter/ise2013/2013.Pocket.Guide%2025.pdf
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    It's not so much a replacement for NS as yet another way to try to get non-programmers to sell AMX. Theyt seem bent on going that route, and have yet to do it successfully.
  • DHawthorne wrote: »
    It's not so much a replacement for NS as yet another way to try to get non-programmers to sell AMX. Theyt seem bent on going that route, and have yet to do it successfully.

Yeah, I just got the same story, its to work with RPM for any devices that dont already have a module (driver) in place.

Very disappointing =/ ...bring on a complete eclipse solution! ;)
  • nickmnickm Posts: 152
    If you look at the provided (lousy) screenshot, it looks very similar to Eclipse and other IDE's. Very interesting.
  • nickm wrote: »
    If you look at the provided (lousy) screenshot, it looks very similar to Eclipse and other IDE's. Very interesting.

Im sure it is eclipse just because its open source, theyre familiar with developing around it for duet as well, but that doesnt mean their is any useful functionality to programmers.

But all in speculation (..and a few insiders thoughts on it), we'll just have to wait and see.
  • vincenvincen Posts: 526
    +1 to get Eclipse used and everything integrated in it and might hope it would allow then to program from whatever os Eclipse is supported instead to be stuck on damn windows ;)
    I found always very surprising to be stuck on windows to program some hardware mainly based on linux/unix system :D
  • DHawthorne wrote: »

Though for really basic systems RPM is close, assuming I didn't miss anything on my last attempt to build a system with it. I only ran across one bug, one deal breaking missing feature, and one really nice to have feature. If they add the two missing features in addition to fixing the bug it would be very usable for basic conference rooms at least, imo.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    vincen wrote: »
    +1 to get Eclipse used and everything integrated in it and might hope it would allow then to program from whatever os Eclipse is supported instead to be stuck on damn windows ;)
    I found always very surprising to be stuck on windows to program some hardware mainly based on linux/unix system :D

You are assuming they are working on porting the compiler to other operating systems as well.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    the8thst wrote: »
    You are assuming they are working on porting the compiler to other operating systems as well.

*** furiously biting my tongue ****
  • mstocummstocum Posts: 120
    Well, looky looky at what AMX just released.
  • What is just released?
  • AMX Driver Design - not really an IDE replacement, but a tool for creating display modules. The tool was originally intended to manufacturers to populate form fields and generate duet modules as opposed to having to learn Netlinx or Duet. In short, this creates an XML file that is read by the XDD module. For all of us who just wanted a duet module to perform specific tasks and not everything in the protocol document, this is the approved solution. For example, you can put in as many control points or polling elements as you would like. Keep in mind this was developed for engineers and not AMX programmers, so some will be disappointed that it is currently limited to display device types, and that you only fill in form fields rather than actually code anything. The nice thing is that you can open other XDD files that are posted online to see how they were constructed -- another complaint many have against duet.
  • Thanks Chris.
    I did find it after, but was looking for an improved Netlinx IDE...
    Had my hopes up.
    Still helps with Display Module creation,
    although I have not had much luck with finding info wrt using XDD modules...
  • vincenvincen Posts: 526
    What is just released?
    yep, what is released ? have seen no news these last days !!