Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

iPhone / PDA Compatibility?

2»

Comments

• TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    What iPhone VNC client are you running?
  • wengerpwengerp Posts: 29
    Dear AMX Forum,

Just wanted to say hi and share the good news about iLoveControl for AMX.

iLoveControl has newly released AMX sample code for iPhone and iPod Touch users. iLoveControl has been available in the App Store since it opened and we have a large following in our yahoo group at:

Please try our AMX code and let us know what you think.
    Felipe

Today I was able to make some tests with the recently published AMX-module of ILoveControl. At the time being the module offers a good set of basic functionality. Since it is available as source code it can easily be integrated into own projects. The iPhone app can handle push events, channel feedback, level events and feedback (kind of). It of course cannot cover all (AMX-specific) features of a "real" TP, but for many purposes the functionality is certainly more than sufficient. What I did like is the iPhone typical look and feel of the app.

However, for our AMX projects we would like to see some additional GUI capabilities. The most important features we are looking for are:

- sending push events / receiving channel feedback
    - sending / receiving level events
    - receiving text/slot/image information for buttons
    - requesting textual information from user and sending the result to the master
    - receiving page / pop-up change commands

There are of course many more functions/properties that a "real" TP offers but those are the features we use most frequently in our projects. Actually right now we are thinking about using an iPod Touch for a project we are currently working for. I could therefore invest some time in helping to further improve the very promising project concerning the above mentioned additional GUI features. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Patrick
  • iLoveControl AMX for iPhone and iPod Touch

Patrick,

Excellent review, thanks!

We would be happy to work with you and others in the AMX community to make this an even stronger offering. Today, we released version 1.2 of iLoveControl that provides much improved asynchronous communications and two-way real feedback for lights, drapes and hvac.

We appreciate all the help from all of you guys, and to make your efforts worthwhile, we will remunerate those of you who contribute towards the AMX modules with free Custom Config Files (each is $250 value) that you can resell to your clients. Custom Config Files provide for the custom configuration of the app up to 16 rooms (and a rack) of audio, video, lights, drapes, hvac, scenes and various sources.

We look forward to working with all of you.

Felipe
  • Panel simulation

However, for our AMX projects we would like to see some additional GUI capabilities. The most important features we are looking for are:

- sending push events / receiving channel feedback
    - sending / receiving level events
    - receiving text/slot/image information for buttons
    - requesting textual information from user and sending the result to the master
    - receiving page / pop-up change commands

There are of course many more functions/properties that a "real" TP offers but those are the features we use most frequently in our projects. Actually right now we are thinking about using an iPod Touch for a project we are currently working for. I could therefore invest some time in helping to further improve the very promising project concerning the above mentioned additional GUI features. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Patrick[/QUOTE]

In theory simulating a panel is not that hard it just needs someone with the time to look at the communications between a panel and the master. You could then write software for any device that sends out level and push info. The other nice thing with this method is the ipod would simply register as a device in the online tree and could be programed like a normal panel. The final step would be a design tool for the ipod GUI that let you draw buttons and number them..

Anyone have the time to look into this.............

Simon
  • wengerpwengerp Posts: 29
    In theory simulating a panel is not that hard it just needs someone with the time to look at the communications between a panel and the master. You could then write software for any device that sends out level and push info. The other nice thing with this method is the ipod would simply register as a device in the online tree and could be programed like a normal panel. The final step would be a design tool for the ipod GUI that let you draw buttons and number them..

The communication between panel and master is based on the Internet control system communication protocol, better known as ICSP. If someone is going to analyze the communication data, the following link to the respective US patent might help:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2008/0059622.html

Although such a "nativ connection" for an iPhone (or any other device) would offer some very interesting possibilities, I had (and have) always my doubts if this really is a long term solution. The protocol could change or some kind of encryption could make it impossible to register non AMX devices to the master. That's why I'd rather use some kind of proxy functionality to simulate an ICSP like communication protocol.

Patrick
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Pretty much 35 pages of pure protocol description. Talk about a headache. At least there are some pretty flow charts to help. :D
  • dbfreqdbfreq Posts: 9
    If the goal is to use something other than an AMX touchpanel, why would you need to decipher the ICSP? Isn't it possible to communicate with an AMX controller over TCP?

Couldn't one just:
    1. define a device ('AVR1') in Netlinx,
    2. set up a TCP socket on another computer to talk to the AMX controller
    3. send IP_SERVER_OPEN
    4. send PASS AVR1 to pass any data the Netlinx controller receives back to the computer over the TCP port
    5. use SEND_STRING and SEND_COMMAND to communicate with devices attached to the Netlinx controller
    6. parse responses on the computer and react appropriately?
    dbfreq wrote: »
    If the goal is to use something other than an AMX touchpanel, why would you need to decipher the ICSP?

Yes. There is an ap called "TCP/IP Remote" that does just that. Unfortunately it is a one-way device, limiting its uses. It works very well in a one-way manner though.
  • John_GloveJohn_Glove Posts: 95
    Button Feedback with CommandFusion

hi together

have someone tested the function of button Feedback with CommandFusion?
    i have make a test GUI-File, which i can control a relay on the AMX System. It works fine, but no feedback on the iphone. The Feedback is programmed in the amx code.

is it possible to have feedback on the iphone?

thanks

john
    John_Glove wrote: »
    hi together

have someone tested the function of button Feedback with CommandFusion?
    i have make a test GUI-File, which i can control a relay on the AMX System. It works fine, but no feedback on the iphone. The Feedback is programmed in the amx code.

is it possible to have feedback on the iphone?

According to CF documentation, feedback is possible. It is on my to-do list to tinker with it.
  • GuiLinkGuiLink Posts: 5
    CommandFusion iViewer

Our iViewer app for iPhone certainly does allow full 2-way control, with fully customisable GUI.

We have quite a few people who are using our app with AMX with great success. Some are working on finishing our module (which beta version is available from our website) but no-one has made a version ready for release version 1.0 yet.

If anyone here is willing to help the module along, we are more than willing to provide a free license or two to the people who help make this happen.

Thanks,

Jarrod
    CommandFusion / GuiLink
  • bcirrisibcirrisi Posts: 148
    MaratGill wrote: »

Has anyone tried this yet? Looks to good to be true.
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    how do you get the client onto the iPhone?
  • MaratGillMaratGill Posts: 16
    bcirrisi wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this yet? Looks to good to be true.

look this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtVFN78c6uM
  • John_GloveJohn_Glove Posts: 95
    According to CF documentation, feedback is possible. It is on my to-do list to tinker with it.
    hi, sorry my error. some little code failure :-)
    it works with feedback

thanks a lot

john
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I'm working on an iPhone app that will mimic touch panel. I hope to make an app to allow the programmer to design the interface too.
  • DigiMeDigiMe Posts: 59
    I'm working on an iPhone app that will mimic touch panel.

As is it will use port 1319 to allow bi-direction communications? Is it going to be similar to this:

http://www.emulinx.com/products.htm

Also, have you reverse engineer the ICSNet IP protocol and if so, can I have it.....please....
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    DigiMe wrote: »
    As is it will use port 1319 to allow bi-direction communications? Is it going to be similar to this:

http://www.emulinx.com/products.htm

Also, have you reverse engineer the ICSNet IP protocol and if so, can I have it.....please....

I do not intend to use port 1319 and will not reverse engineer AMX's current TPs. (I don't think they'd like that too much...) I'm working on my own protocol and module.

I do not have the ICSNet protocol either. Here again, I'm not sure AMX would care for that kind of thing.
    e
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I do not have the ICSNet protocol either. Here again, I'm not sure AMX would care for that kind of thing.
    Agreed - but it is available online, publicly, and I'm sure AMX knows it. I don't think they can do anything about it either.
  • MaratGillMaratGill Posts: 16
    new video

Iridium in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJpeGWzEL9w