Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules

GE CADDX NX8E Configuration

I decided to post this message here after having a very difficult time to make the Netlinx talk to the GE NX8E panel. I hope these notes will help someone else avoid the same frustration that I had. they're similar to the AMX notes but better organized.

When using the NX8E you DON'T need the NX584 box. In this case, connect the Netlinx serial port straight to the serial cable on the NX8E (GE part number: P-0003 ** - RS232 Adapter Cable)

The serial Cable that worked for me is:
2 - 3
3 - 2
5 - 5

Important Locations and Segments to configure:

LOCATION 207 (Serial Port Selector):
SEGMENT 1 = 1

LOCATION 208 (Baud Rate=9600):
SEGMENT 1 = 2

LOCATION 209 (ASCII):
SEGMENT 1 = 1 _ _ _ _ _ _ _

LOCATION 210 (Broadcasts):
SEGMENT 1 = _ 2 _ _ 5 6 7 8
SEGMENT 2 = 1 2 _ _ _ _ _ _

LOCATION 211 (Cmd Requests):
SEGMENT 1 = _ 2 _ 4 5 6 7 8
SEGMENT 2 = 1 _ 3 _ _ _ _ _
SEGMENT 3 = _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
SEGMENT 4 = _ _ _ _ 5 6 7 8

Now I am trying to tweak the module to be more user friendly. I have to admit that The Abvent Module works better. I would appreciate if someone would be willing to share their UI module here. Sincerely,

Ricardo

Comments

• CT-DallasCT-Dallas Posts: 157
    Ricardo,
    Thanks for the post. The ASCII element was holding me up for quite some time. A lengthy call to GE Security cleared it up.

While testing water sensors, I was expecting something like:

Line 33 (15:45:49):: String To [33778:1:1]-[ZONE=1:16:FAULT]

but instead, I recevied this:

Line 9 (15:36:32):: String To [33778:1:1]-[ALARM=1:1:1:INTRUSION:1]

I have yet to determine if this is a field configuration issue, or if this is what to expect. I know that we are immediatly triggering an alarm for a water event, but I would think that in the string prior to alarm, you would see a fault message.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
    Chris
  • GE NX8E

The NX8E has been the worst nightmare ever. The functionality of the module is very limited. I have spent alot of money and time getting it to work. The second programmer I hired to fix all the problems has done a very good job. Before I found him I tried to get AMX to update the module and that when nowhere and GE will not even talk about the protocol. Good luck I know it can be done.
  • kennyannkennyann Posts: 113
    Protocol

Hello:

Do any one of you have the protocol for my Netlinx job. I am unable to find that information. If you can post it - I really do appreciate it.

Thank you.
    Kenny A
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    tonebells wrote: »
    The NX8E has been the worst nightmare ever. The functionality of the module is very limited. I have spent alot of money and time getting it to work. The second programmer I hired to fix all the problems has done a very good job. Before I found him I tried to get AMX to update the module and that when nowhere and GE will not even talk about the protocol. Good luck I know it can be done.

I am surprised to hear this. I just finished dealing with a NX8E and found it and the module to work very well, flawlessly in fact. I have a map of all zones that turn colors when faults occur and the response time is almost instantaneous. I am using the bypassing mechanism so the user knows what is bypassed and can bypass any zone, as well as all the other features. Maybe I am missing something, so I am curious what functionality you found missing. I had to rewrite the UI module but it wasn't too bad a chore and now it runs any amount of touch panels independently. You do need to do some configuration to the system beforehand but it is spelled out in the module documentation.
    Paul
  • mktimemktime Posts: 6
    GE caddx NX8E problem DISARM

HI,

I tried the GE caddx NX8E with AMX, everything works except the command for "disarm".

SEND_COMMAND vdvNetworxNX8E, "'PARTITION=1:DISARM:1234'"

Every commands are working exept that.

Does anyone have the same problem ?

Mickael
    mktime wrote: »
    HI,

I tried the GE caddx NX8E with AMX, everything works except the command for "disarm".

Every commands are working exept that.

Does anyone have the same problem ?

Mickael

It might help if you don't use a smiley face in the command.

Seriously, I seem to recall that I could disarm without an issue. You do realize the '1234' is the disarm code and has to match the clients code?
    Paul
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I've actually had pretty good luck with this module myself.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470

I have also had good luck with the COM module, even with this command (with the proper code). As with Paul, I also rewrote the UI module.
    Colzie wrote: »
    I have also had good luck with the COM module, even with this command (with the proper code). As with Paul, I also rewrote the UI module.

Yeah, it's pretty rare for me to use the UI. They just never work that well for me.
  • edgelitocedgelitoc Posts: 160
    me either i tried but it never worked for me.....
    Hi,

I've checked again my configuration of my NX8E and i still can't use the DISARM command, it does not work. I've done what is in the module specifications but i can't make it work.

I will use another way to do that.

Thanks

Mickael
    Hi,

I've checked again my configuration of my NX8E and i still can't use the DISARM command, it does not work. I've done what is in the module specifications but i can't make it work.

I seem to recall that there is a switch in the configuration that determines whether the system can be disarmed from a source other than the keypad. Perhaps your installer didn't set that correctly.
    Paul
  • Also, check location 211 segment 4 on the alarm panel... I believe you have to have the secondary KP function set to '1' but I don't think the module documentation indicates that properly. Also, not wanting to state the obvious, but arming can be done with no user PIN, disarming always requires user PIN.

Here are settings from one of our projects where everything works fine: http://www.amxforums.com/showpost.php?p=18177&postcount=8

--John

Did you get this working? I have used the AMX comm module previously with success. However, my latest job is experiencing the same issue you mention.

Quick Arm works (no password), but anything with a password does not work (arm home, arm away, disarm). We have verified the settings many many times based on the AMX documentation. AMX is "looking into it".

I'm thinking it is a protocol change by GE (firmware update?) or possibly there are slightly different NX8E boxes?? I know the ones I did earlier (that worked) were NX8Ev2 or something like that, but the one I'm working on now is a straight NX8E.

I'm thinking of writing my own com module, but if the commands have changed the I would need an updated protocol manual. Anyone have a recent version?
    we just put in a system that was having wierd problems and the fix was to make sure and set all the settings in the security panel and then power cycle every part of the thing. Once we did this it worked fine.
  • mktime wrote: »
    Quick Arm works (no password), but anything with a password does not work (arm home, arm away, disarm). We have verified the settings many many times based on the AMX documentation. AMX is "looking into it".

If you look into the programming of the Alarm panel, did you verify that the user codes you are using are authorized for arm/disarm and that they're valid for all partitions? If you use the DL900 programming software you can see it under "Control Panel-> Main -> Codes". Even if the user is designated as a "Master" on the alarm panel, I believe you still have to select arm/disarm in the authority boxes as well as the partitions for which they should be authorized when you're using serial control.

--John
    Did you get this working? I have used the AMX comm module previously with success. However, my latest job is experiencing the same issue you mention.

I'm thinking it is a protocol change by GE (firmware update?) or possibly there are slightly different NX8E boxes?? I know the ones I did earlier (that worked) were NX8Ev2 or something like that, but the one I'm working on now is a straight NX8E.

I'm thinking of writing my own com module, but if the commands have changed the I would need an updated protocol manual. Anyone have a recent version?

Hi,

No, i didn't get this working.
    I think we have the same problem too. I was thinking it was a different firmware for the NX8E in Europe as i am in France but i see you are in USA and you have the same problem.
    I think maybe something change in the protocol or something in the NX8E but here is write on :
    NX-8E EUR V08 2210
    French NFA2P
    V8.00 01/04/06
    This firmware doesn't seems to be very early!

For writing your own comm module, i don't have anything of the protocol for the NX8E and i think it will be difficult to have it from GE.

For John, yes i've checked user can arm/disarm for all partitions. Now i use only 1 user with 1234 password and only 1 partition.

Mickael
    I have a solution to my particular problem.

Symptoms:
    * Using the "user PIN" (homeowner's code) the security system would not arm or disarm via AMX.
    * Using the "installer PIN", Quick arm would work, but arm/disarm with the PIN would not work. At the security keypad the installer PIN worked just fine.

Problems:
    1) The "user PIN" I was given was incorrect. Somewhere a few numbers were transposed.
    2) The "installer PIN" flat out would not work through AMX. I tested the default "installer PIN" on a fresh security panel and it DOES work - so apparently the security panel on site had some setting changed when they changed from the default installer PIN.

Resolution:
    Using the correct "user PIN" it works as advertised.