Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

NS3 Crashing Like Crazy

Comments

• Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    B_Clements wrote:
    Since this thread is not growing very much, can we assume most users are having pretty good luck?
    I for one haven't downloaded it yet and when the trouble reports first came in others stated they were glad they hadn't made the switch yet so it's quite possible a large majority like I are not running the new version.

DHawthorne wrote:
    It's pretty near impossible for a relatively small subset of beta testers to duplicate the variety of circumstances that are going to exist in the field. I would vastly prefer an open beta,
    I recall saying in an earlier thread related to the beta testing that more brains = more brains which referred to more members being invloved in the beta process would equal a better result. I then got dumped on for suggesting a hit on beta testers so I gave up the cause.

But seriously if beta software was released in the ACE forums, open to all ACE members how could that be a bad thing. Sometimes the logic involved in these processes actually defies logic.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Brian,

Thanks for chiming in. :D

I've had very few problems from the get-go, except for a strange occurrence of it crashing "like crazy" when I tried to open up a workspace so I could test / get an IP of the system. I was in such a rush to get the IP and after it crashing a few times, I disregarded the circumstances in order to get it working. I do believe though the previous workspace had a file open from a different workspace and aft er closing out the open source files, it seemed to have opened up the new workspace properly without crashing. Though - I don't recall for certain.

I've not had any other major issues, but do find the auto-suggest a bit annoying because it seems to "record" and "store" your constants and variables, even when you've messed up and they're no longer part of the source. For example, if I went to type dvSAT_MBR, and accidentally typed dvSAT_MBE, the latter continues to popup and is first in the drop down box UNTIL I close out NS3 (or the workspace or code.) This make it particularly frustrating when you've mistyped INTEGER, and you're used to typing INTE -> TAB for the auto-complete.
  • Options
    roognationroognation Posts: 138
    Goodness.

I have been using NS3 for a while now, and the thing just plain crashes; at least once a day, sometimes up to 4 times a day. Doesn't matter what is going on; usually a memory access violation or something... Crashing is very annoying.

Also, autocomplete is strangely lame: some functions are improved, some are taken back about 3 years... Sometimes, I miss-type a variable, I backspace and retype correctly. Autocomplete just remembers my miss-typed version; even try recompile and rescan to no avail.

Include files: I had to jumble the order of my include files to get the files to get in to the controller; putting one file at the end of the list would compile OK, but no functionality in the master. Move file up to positions, and voila started working on the master????

After using the vertical selection to renumber a column of numbers, the line below it usually ends up with a bunch of tabs/spaces added for no reason.

Device mapping: I enumerated a few devices, and they would not show up when I tried to map them. I called AMX, they told me "the solution" was to shut down NS and restart. Well, that worked, but jeez, seems like a simple thing to fix. Rescan should capture this, one would estimate.

Anyhow, that is all I have time to write for now...more later when the bile subsides.

>> 1 OK, so, minor bug: when using members of structures, after indexing them like: uDistAudio[nCurrentZone[nTP_Index]], pressing the period key does not popup the suggestions for that structure. If one hits the period key after only 1 closed bracket, the members popup as normal.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    The only crashes I've seen are all associated with not making a connection to a master when trying to upload a project. I've been seeing this a lot lately due to the fact I've been working on an installation where the cliet's WAN IP has been chaging almost twice a day for some stupid reason. (It's AT&T DSL lite) So, If I don't remember to remake the fuile upload and leave the previous WAN IP, the program can't find the master and just hangs. This almost always results in a crash.

On that note, I really wish they'd fix this issue. It's pretty much the same in TPD4. C'mon, a 'no connect' shouldn't bring down the app??? Put a trap in there or something folks. It's honestly not that hard. If it happens in TPD4, I can count on the app checking out in a few key strokes. NS3 is somewhat more unpredictible. It might go quite a while or might crash right away. But, nonetheless, it will crash soon.

Otherwise, it's been pretty stable for me. I've noticed that quite a few of the beta testers seem to have had less of an issue with crashes. Perhaps a temporary workaround might be to release the beta to all and allow them to load it then go ahead and load the real NS3 public consumption version. Perhaps there are a few files getting jazzed from going directly from NS2.7 to NS 3. Just a thought.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've been noticing recently that it crashes frequently if I close the program with the window close button. Again, not always, but enough to note. It's a harmless crash, but maybe will offer a clue to development as to what is contributing to the overall instability. We have three crash-inducing scenarios, which seem to vary by user and even by project:

lost connection crash
    file save crash (particularly auto-save)
    close window crash
  • Options
    bcirrisibcirrisi Posts: 148
    Annoying++

Mine loves to crash whenever I open up a new project. I usually have to let it open, and sit there for a minute before I do anything or else CRASH! Once I get past that, it is pretty stable for me. Also, I find the built in telnet unusable, way to quirky, I'll be sticking to Zoc.
  • Options
    JeffJeff Posts: 374
    Mine regularly crashes when I open it as well, also it likes to crash when I compile or try to transfer files, and not only when there Is a connection error.

OTOH, I'm not having tp4 crash on connection errors anymore, since the most recent build. Whoever was mentioning that should make sure they are running the newest version of tp4.

J
  • Options
    I was feeling pretty lucky, but I'm starting to see semi-regular crashes in Studio as well, usually when I open a workspace. Oh, and I wish auto-complete would quit reminding me of my spelling mistakes....
  • Options
    ROOROO Posts: 46
    Workspace crash
    I was feeling pretty lucky, but I'm starting to see semi-regular crashes in Studio as well, usually when I open a workspace. Oh, and I wish auto-complete would quit reminding me of my spelling mistakes....

I experience the crash when I save a file, or close files multiple times a day. I hadn't noticed that the autosave feature may be enhancing this feature, so I'll pay more attention.

I find the auto-complete option valuable, it allows me to mis-spell the words quite consistentlyly :)
    Setting-preferences-Editor-Display and indentations - (Enable Autocomple/Suggest) options can be disabled, but Spelling would just go nuts on my code.

ROO
  • Options
    Well I finally updated and I really wish I hadn't!

It seems to crash after every other file transfer.

The docking of windows feature need to be disabled cuz they're driving me crazy everytime I want to increase or decrease the winbdow size they undock.

My variables in the debug window seem to disappear when I close it and then re-open.

Initially the brace highlighting drove me nuts but after changing the color so they blend better it's no tolerable.

I'm seriously afraid of updating any apps or firmware lately and think prior to doing any of these upgrades I'll need to schedule a few days of down time to allow for the extra labor required to provide damage control and corrective maintenance for the problems that result from these updates.

It wasn't bad when being addicted to AMX meant having a feeling of euphoria but now I'm just getting the shakes, even after a fresh fix.
  • Options
    This morning the mere act of opening NS3 caused it to crash. Is this to be the start of another GREAT day?
  • Options
    Tried it again and again, crash but 3rd time was the charm. Never thought being able to successfully open NS would be cause for celebration, woo hoo!
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I know this won't help, but I have not had many problems with NS3 crashing. I can't say it's never happened, but I would say I'm at maybe once a month and it seems to be related to switching between workspaces shortly following a transfer.

Based on what you are saying, have you tried reinstalling NS3? Also, do the problems seem to be related to one workspace? Maybe the workspace got corrupted?

Jeff
  • Options
    Happens for me when I open a workspace . . . probably one in every 3 times I open NS3. I'll open it, it'll crash immediately. I open it again, it crashes immediately. I open it again, it finally loads the old workspace. I close the old workspace (so I can open whatever new project I need to work on), it crashes again. I open it again, it crashes immediately.

It's ridiculous. I haven't updated to the newer version, but since Vining is having the same problems I'm having with the new version, I'm thinking updating isn't going to accomplish much.

It sure is a good thing AMX spent so much time beta testing this, taking advantage of all the people who were willing to help, so they could get such a good version of the product out. And I really appreciate their diligence at fixing these problems within the first month or two of the product coming out . . . .

oh wait

J
  • Options
    Spire_Jeff wrote:
    have you tried reinstalling NS3? Also, do the problems seem to be related to one workspace? Maybe the workspace got corrupted?
    Hmmm, maybe I'll try the reinstall cuz I have 2 modules in my system that use this function for unicode:
    DEFINE_FUNCTION fnSEND_VTEXT (DEV iTP,nCHAN,CHAR strMSG[]) //All variable text to panel is sent thru this function

{
         STACK_VAR WIDECHAR strSTRING1[100] ;
         STACK_VAR CHAR strSTRING2[100] ;

strSTRING1 = WC_DECODE(strMSG,WC_FORMAT_UTF8,1) ; // Used to Decode 
         strSTRING2 = WC_ENCODE(strSTRING1,WC_FORMAT_TP,1) ;//WC_TP_ENCODE (strSTRING1) should be the same

Both in the same workspace, same directory, etc but when I compile the iPod module which is where this function originated it compiles fine but when I compile the module I'm working on I get this:
    ERROR: C:\Documents and Settings\VAV\My Documents\AMX\Programs\Griffith\VAV_GetComcastTV_LineUp_MODv1.axs(714): C10515: Cannot find function definition for [WC_DECODE], check case sensitivity
    ERROR: C:\Documents and Settings\VAV\My Documents\AMX\Programs\Griffith\VAV_GetComcastTV_LineUp_MODv1.axs(715): C10515: Cannot find function definition for [WC_ENCODE], check case sensitivity
    C:\Documents and Settings\VAV\My Documents\AMX\Programs\Griffith\VAV_GetComcastTV_LineUp_MODv1.axs - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    Now these are system functions and the modules are in the same system, directory, compiler, etc. so something weird is going on.

Ya no, I so wanted to spend time today working on my PPractical but I guess figuring out this mess will just have to take precedence.
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I just had to open my big mouth! :( NS3 just crashed on me .... while switching workspaces.

I also had some fun at the beginning of the week. I have some code that is functional in multiple jobs. I was at a jobsite on Monday and the code stopped working... kinda. Everything was working on the touch panels (on a different master), but button pushes from the R4s (on the same different master) stopped reporting. The R4s showed as coming online, and I think I was even seeing the button pushes come through in push notifications, but the button events were not triggering. I eventually fixed it by commenting out the device definitions and copying pasting them back in. Voila, everything functioned again. Go figure that one out!

I also had an issue where NS3 refused to show a line in an include which caused me about 3 minutes of confusion. The line that was missing was the define_function line. The rest of the function showed (line numbers went 87,88,90,91) I noticed the problem when I did a Find on the function name and could not find the function definition. I tried a rescan and I tried expand and collapse all a couple of times, neither worked. Everything compiled fine, just did not display properly. I fixed it by closing the file and then reopening it.

Jeff
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    vining wrote: »
    Both in the same workspace, same directory, etc but when I compile the iPod module which is where this function originated it compiles fine but when I compile the module I'm working on I get this:

ERROR: C:\Documents and Settings\VAV\My Documents\AMX\Programs\Griffith\VAV_GetComcastTV_L ineUp_MODv1.axs(714): C10515: Cannot find function definition for [WC_DECODE], check case sensitivity
    ERROR: C:\Documents and Settings\VAV\My Documents\AMX\Programs\Griffith\VAV_GetComcastTV_L ineUp_MODv1.axs(715): C10515: Cannot find function definition for [WC_ENCODE], check case sensitivity
    C:\Documents and Settings\VAV\My Documents\AMX\Programs\Griffith\VAV_GetComcastTV_L ineUp_MODv1.axs - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    Preferences--->Netlinx Compiler
    Make sure Enable_WC Preprocessor (Unicode) is Checked if you are using Unicode.
  • Options
    Ya, know this thread was nice and quite since ROO's post on 06-30-2009 so I figured, ah, maybe it's safe now. Guess I should have inquired.

I had a function disappear the other day, only to re-appear after a close/open but I've had that happen on rare occasions w/ NS2 too, but not for a while. I did freak momentarily since it was fairly decent size function which was just created so, of course, I first thought when the crash happen or the file was closed before it was actually saved w/o warning it was simply gone for ever but twas not.

I've also had issues w/ NS2 where sometimes modules/include files would just no longer compile and creating a blank file, copying the entire contents of non-compiling file and pasting that into the blank, renaming the blank and compiling would the work, rather odd.

Anyway, the re-install didn't help my unicode functions work so I must go back to scratching my head.
  • Options
    Joe Hebert wrote:
    Make sure Enable_WC Preprocessor (Unicode) is Checked if you are using Unicode.
    Yeah, I also noted that I have one module which uses this function in the system already and it compiles fine as always. Just not the one I pasted in into.
  • Options
    Well went to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\AMXShare\AXIs at first to look at the Nelinx.axi and saw the Unicode.axi. I went back to the module that worked to find an "include" and found it in define_start:
    #INCLUDE 'UnicodeLib.axi'

Doing the same in the problem module obviously did the trick but you would think it would be automatically included like the Netlinx.axi especially with the check box checked for in "Enable_WC Preprocessor (Unicode). Hmmm. I'll move my other observation on Unicode to the Unicode thread.
  • Options
    CRASH, CRASH, CRASH.......... opening NS3, closing open files while NS3 is open, opening debug/diagnostics windows. Had no problems with NS2 and I don't find any new features in NS3 worth the aggrevation. Actually some of the so called improvements are actually annoying but that may be cuz I was used to the old way but F'... what a pain in the a$$.

Please! No more improvements, I can't take them anymore. Get rid of the training department and hire more engineers!
  • Options
    Here's what I find aggravating and mysterious: I have very few crashes. I get a crash perhaps once every two weeks. I'm assuming the reason for a delay in any hotfixes or updates is because it seems to be so system specific and random. I run NS3 on the following:

Sony Vaio VGN-NR385E (Laptop)
    Vista Home Premium SP1
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    2 GB Ram

I know my system is not "awesome" by any means nor "lame", but I'd consider it middle of the road. Perhaps everyone can post their specs?

I'll assume that when the engineers do find what's causing the crashing - they'll be saying "Oh well shoot dang - how'd we miss that?"
  • Options
    My problems exist on:
    MAC PRO
    Running BootCamp so I boot up into XP Pro v2002 w/ service pack 3
    Dual core Intel Xenon CPU 5150 @ 2.66ghz

My drives & ram are partition and if I reacall I have 2 TBytes of hard drive split 50/50 and 5 gigs of RAM w/ 3gigs allocate to the MAC side and 2gigs allocated for the XP side.
  • Options
    Just curious - I wonder if AMX has given its blessing on Bootcamp. I must admit, I'm not a Mac person - so I don't know all of the specifics of Bootcamp and what it actually does. From what I understand, it's not an emulation program - you're *actually* running Windows, is this true?

I'm just wondering if because Windows is running on certain hardware that it wasn't *built* for - if that could be causing problems - I don't know, I'm just guessing here. I mean, I've loaded up OSX on my Dell desktop before - but things begin to crash like crazy too.

Do you have any other computers you could run this on for a day with one of the same workspaces you're having problems with? (Particularly a PC.)
  • Options
    System 1:
    Dell Precision 690
    Xeon 1.87GHz
    2GB RAM
    XP Pro SP3

System 2
    Dell Latitude D630
    Core2 Duo @ 2.2GHz
    3.5GB RAM
    XP Pro SP2

Same issues on both, pretty much all the time. Crash when opening a workspace, crash when closing a workspace, crash when saving files (and therefore also when F7 to compile), crash randomly when typing, searching, etc. I can sometimes go an entire day of heavy use without a crash, but most days are plagued by constant crashes. Works fine for an hour or so, then crash 4 or 5 times in a row, then good for a while longer. I have done some playing around, and I do think that it's entirely possible that it has something to do with include files but I don't really know. The only thing that I do actually know is that it is frustrating as heck and can turn a simple bit of work into a real pain the in the butt.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    jjames wrote: »
    Just curious - I wonder if AMX has given its blessing on Bootcamp. I must admit, I'm not a Mac person - so I don't know all of the specifics of Bootcamp and what it actually does. From what I understand, it's not an emulation program - you're *actually* running Windows, is this true?

I'm just wondering if because Windows is running on certain hardware that it wasn't *built* for - if that could be causing problems - I don't know, I'm just guessing here. I mean, I've loaded up OSX on my Dell desktop before - but things begin to crash like crazy too.

Do you have any other computers you could run this on for a day with one of the same workspaces you're having problems with? (Particularly a PC.)

I program on a PC here at work, but use a Mac at home. Mine's a Mac Mini. (dual 1.6Ghz with 4Gig ram.)

I do not use Boot Camp. I run a VM with Windows XP Pro installed and it works flawlessly. I've been working from home and it does't miss a beat.

I like doing it this way since I can keep the Mac OS running and open and actually work on both things simultaneously. (For what it's worth, I also quite often have another VM running with Linux going too)

One problem, though. It is a RAM hog.

NS3 has not been crashing much at all on me. TPD4, however crashes on me 10-20 times a day. I LOVE it!
  • Options
    Call Tech Support

Well - there goes my theory on the type of computer you're using - THANKS ERIC!!! (:p)

I guess the best thing to do is call up tech support, ask if there's anything being done, if there's anything they can do and just report your bugs to them. I'd say not to hound them, but ya never know by calling - you might get some useful information or tips.
  • Options
    System 1
    Homemade PC
    Windows Vista
    4gb Ram
    Core2 Duo 1.8 ghz

system 2
    Dell Laptop
    Windows XP
    some stats of some sort should go here

I only post to illustrate that I have the same crashing issue on XP and Vista

J
  • Options
    Saw a new release out there... It seems to have addressed some stability bugs. Taking it for a ride.
  • Options
    So far so good!

Not 1 crash in 24 hours and although I did get used to it crashing during certain events which I always saved prior to attempting, occansionally it would just crash doing nothing but writing code. Those were the times I'd really get pissed since I would then have to think of everything I just did in the last xx minutes/hours so I could attempt to do it again. Not a very effecient use of time, not as bad as AMX programming recert but a waste of time none the less.

Thank god I only downloaded this version recently. I couldn't imagine months of this behavior.

So on this day of giving thanks, thanks AMX!