Home Crown User Forum Crown Amplifiers

crown xls 1502 remote trigger - two big issues

I have just purchased the 3 way phoenix connector and with the aid of a tiny 12V dpst relay can successfully trigger itwith my home receiver.

However, I haven't permanently attached the relay yet as there appears to be two very big issues with how the amp operates when it is turned off(terminal one and two on the aux port are shorted together)

I have found it doesn't actually switch the amp off as claimed and it still uses considerable electricity, this was noticed that even when the amp was in sleep mode for several hours the front of the amp was very warm to the touch. It appears that all that happens is the amp is put into mute mode.

The other issue is that when it goes into sleep mode, the two bright blue leds on the front panel flash to a very distracting level, I have turned off all the lighting in the menu, but this doesn't appear to work in the sleep mode, it would be good to know how to bypass the leds, and indeed what is the issue that the amp is not actually being remotely powered properly.

Comments

• addyaddy Posts: 5

I have received advice from crown tech, that there is nothing wrong with my amp and that it will use a small amount of power in standby due to the main power supply still being used/operative. I did not get any clarification of what a small amount of power is.(I'm sure the exact amount is known)
    I have measured that the amp is between 8-10 C above ambient when in standby mode, and doesn't actually measure any different to when the amp is at idle.
    My estimate would be that in sleep mode the power draw is in the region of 10 W. **** Hence its not really appropriate to describe this amp as having a sleep or standby mode.****

I have discovered a 3 problem with the unit, significant rf interference on the AM radio band. I can not operate AM radio on my receiver(even with the aerial located metres away) without significant whistling whilst the crown is switched on

• rj5300rj5300 Posts: 1
    edited February 2021

To Crown Prod Eng/Marketing:
    From Home Audio standpoint, this is pathetic and a deal breaker! Crown can not offer even the basic auto sensor for power on/off/sleep on their XLS amps like 1502 (?) That is ridiculous! They should at least offer a "workaround" to customers on how to build such as relay switch (damn it, make money off of us by selling those parts if you have to, but get customers out of this misery!) Seriously considering getting XTZ Edge A2-300 which is much more customer/install friendly, albeit only slightly more expensive (B&O ICE 300ASC Class D) amp.

Sorry, but just had to vent due to the lack of this crucial feature on any XLS 1xxx amp!

• DATDAT Posts: 2

To Crown Engineering/Amplifiers:
    I bought my Crown 1502 on Amazon a couple of month ago. It is outstanding in quality power and listening.
    I use a smart power strip to turn on all my units. I have a Marantz Receiver as the trigger unit. Everything attached to this power strip works fine and will turn on. Occasionally, the Crown will not come on with all other components. Then, if I want to trigger the Crown to come on, I may have to hit the on, off several times. It's a gamble if it will come on even at all.

Do you have any solution to help my problem? Should I send it in for warranty service?????

• DATDAT Posts: 2

I use a 10 plug SMART STRIP to power on the components. Sometimes the Crown 1502 will not power on.
    What is a good power strip for this application?