Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series Connectivity
Options

Old School Audiophile has a few DR questions????

Comments

• Options
    wolfgongwolfgong Posts: 74
    M*A*S*H

Kevin -
    You remember the episode where Hawkeye and BJ spend the entire program arranging deals. Among the deeds involved are: dental work, a Birthday party for Frank, a hairdryer for Klinger, a date for Radar, etc.

Dra -

Help me out, was there also tomato juice for Col. Potter in this one, too?
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Got me. I like to use the \"Radar date\" line whenever \"what if's\" start piling up. People look at me funny sometimes. (no comments from the peanut gallery)
    HA!

DRA
  • Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    edited April 2007
    Hi guys,

Both of you must have great memories!... My memory is something I continually have problems with... I can run in to someone that I know very well and I can't remember their name until the very last second,...right as I'm reaching to shake their hand... I don't know if anyone else has this problem;...but at times it's a bit scary... I guess we better keep this thread audio related so the-powers-to-be won't shut it down...

Last night I started to play with the new DriveRack and started freaking-out!... For several weeks now this project has been another full time job for me,...and I am sooooo tired!... Last night I had a major realization that a lot of people are counting on me,...and as I was going through the menus I crumbled... There is so much I have to learn in such a short time!... I'm now in the survival mode!... I emailed Gadget and asked if I could call him so he can help me establish a good starting configuration for this system... Immediately after that I went to bed,...and for the first time since this project started...I slept pretty good!... I guess it was good for me to realize that there is no way I can pull this off on my own...

You guys have been such a blessing to me!...

Kevin
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi.. me again

Kevin, guys ..small talk is all fine and good here.. surprisingly I'm pretty much the only \"power that be's\" here! :lol: And since I'm the boss.. well sorta.. I say whatever... you can have a lot of too many things but you can't have too much fun!. Ya they kind have entrusted this thing to me and I keep them abreast of any problems and I squash the perps with unforgiving force!

Any way, Kevin I can't get that file to work on this crazy hunko junk so how about you call me tomorrow.. Itwould have been alright earlier today but I gotta fly now and I have a date with and angel tonight.. and I'm sorry but I am NOT missin out on this!

I'll try and get it up and running if I get back early enough.

G
  • Options
    Thank you Gary!...
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hello Gary,

I also uploaded the user manual to our mixer...

Note: URL to manual has been removed...

Kevin
  • Options
    When I started-out with my DriveRack configuration via the wizzard the QSC RMX2450 was selected as the amplifier and the recommended attenuator setting was 37 I think...

Question: Once the configuration has been completed with the wizzard how can you go back and review the selected amp? I have clicked everywhere and I can't find it... When I open the wizzard again it starts from ground zero...
  • Options
    Are you using the GUI? I just did a fake setup on my computer and it kept all my wizard info.

DRA
  • Options
    Hello Gaget, Wolfgong and Dra,

Friday evening I went to the youth center around 10:00PM because I knew that no one else would be in the building... I placed the subs in the far corners as Gadget had suggested and re-tuned the system... The first thing I did was set the delay for the new speaker placement... A tone generator software I purchased worked like a charm!... I muted all the speakers except the left side sub and 115... I found a frequency (I think it was around 110-120Hz) that both the sub and the flying 115 could produce and I turned up the volume... Because the tone sounded different from each speaker it was easy to find a delay point as to when both speakers were synchronized... I then muted the 115 and repeated the process with sub and the 125... Just for curiosity I put up a 200Hz tone and only enabled the left 115 and 125... WOW!...I could walk around the room and the comb-filtering between the 115 and 125 was very distinct and easy the hear!!! It was totally amazing!!! In some places only one step made a huge difference in the sound... Because of the constant tone...the interaction between the speakers was incredibly obvious... I could walk the room and easily find the dead spots... It's difficult to describe,...but in some places it was like stepping from a noisy room into a quite room,...and then back into a noisy room... I then went through the painful and tedious task of finding a new home for the 125... Once I found the perfect location (directly under the outside 115 and toed-in)...I re-adjusted the delay between it and the sub using the previous tone... Once this was completed...I enabled all of the left side speakers and performed the fast mode RTA on that side of the room... I looked at the GEQ results and I flattened the first three bands of low frequency (I think it was from like 30Hz to 60Hz) to 0dB...as previously recommended by Gadget... After that...I played a lot of different music and I listened...I walked the room and I listened... It sounded great!...but,...I remembered some of the other things that Gadget had mentioned and I wanted to play with the 260 a little more... I muted all of the speakers except for the subs... I could hear intelligible vocals very faintly in the background... Now...I couldn't remember if this is good thing or a bad thing?... I finally decided that this must be a bad thing?... Now here is the tricky part!... I tried a couple things;...and somehow I got to the point where I could only hear clean, punchy, deep bass with no vocals...but I can't remember exactly how I did it?... I enabled all of the speakers again and it sounded absolutely wonderful!!!...but I couldn't resist playing with the 260 a little more... I wanted just a little more bass so I raised the VRS18 crossover gain from 7db to 8db and I shifted the 125s HPF from 100Hz to 70Hz and I heard a definite improvement... I then raised the 125s crossover gain from 0db to 2db...and WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!...I couldn't believe my ears!!! It sounded like there was only one HUGE and HIGH-QUALITY SPEAKER on each side of the room!!! The bass is incredibly deep and tight,...the mids are rich...highs are clean and crisp... At this point I simply couldn't believe this system could produce this sound!!! I knew that I have arrived at the most optimum settings!!!... Yesterday morning I thought to myself...\"did that system actually sound that good...or was I just getting tired and less critical?\"... I couldn't resist...I had to go back and listen again... OK now...we are talking JRX speakers and Behringer amps... I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EARS!!!... This system sounds totally incredible and the presence and headroom is unbelievable!!!...

All I can say is: THE DR260 ROCKS!!!...and...GADGET IS DA-MAN!!!!!...

Above everything else: I PRAISE GOD!!!...FOR HE HAS BLESSED THIS PROJECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks to all of you!!! This has been an incredible experience!!!...:)

Kevin
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

I would like your input... I'm in the market for a decent 24-32 channel mixer with 4 pre-fader auxiliary outputs for monitors... I would like to buy a mixer in the $1200.00 to $1800.00 range that will match-up nicely with the following equipment I already installed in our church youth area:...

1EA DirveRack 260 w/2X6 Stereo
    9EA Behringer EP2500 (six bridged-mono for main PA system and three for six monitor channels)
    4EA JBL JRX115i (two on each side of stage for flying mains)
    2EA JBL JRX125 (one on each side of stage for mains)
    2EA EAW VRS18 (one on each side of stage for subs)
    8EA Active DI Boxes (one Tech21 Sansamp, two Countryman type 35, three Radial J48s, and two Para Acoustic DI)
    9EA Shure SM58 for vocals
    3EA Shure SM57 for amp/instrument miking

I kinda been looking at the Allen & Heath GL2400 and PA28… Any input would be greatly appreciated….:)
  • Options
    Just for comparison... our youth room has a mic input in the wall to a 70v system. There are 4 or 5 five inch speakers in the ceiling controlled by a volume pot on the wall next to the ON / OFF switch. It rocks. Guess who gets called if they ever have a talent night or play or something.

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    Just for comparison... our youth room has a mic input in the wall to a 70v system. There are 4 or 5 five inch speakers in the ceiling controlled by a volume pot on the wall next to the ON / OFF switch. It rocks. Guess who gets called if they ever have a talent night or play or something.DRA
    Hi Dra,

Reading your post took me back in time a little... Years ago I worked for a company that installed 70 volt systems in schools, resturants, and hotel lobbys... If I remember correctly TOA was the popular PA amp for this type of system back then... There was an assortment of plug-n-play I/O modules you could put in those units...

Anyways,...your youth are very fortunate to have you to call on whenever the need arises...

Dra,...You have any suggestions on a mixer?...

Kevin
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    You guys crack me up. I remember when I started doing sound and there we used the first Line Arrays.. the Shure Column speakers and a Bogen tube amp with 4 channels! Yes thats right the instruments were left to fend for themselves and we used the astonishing sound to pipe pristine vocals into the venues! chuckle...

Well Kevin you know I recommended the GL 2400 and in that price range it has no competition at all. The only other units in that range are the Mackie.. and I don't like Mackie... in the first place and since they went offshore they are a joke..and Soundcraft Spirit mixers .. the LX7 II are NOT even close to the Allen and Heath, plus the Allen and Heath are dual function consoles, they have small footprints, and they have excellent pre's, EQ's and are clean quiet and dependable. The Digital consoles I spoke of are in the $10,000 area and are WAYYY cool but...$$$$$

So whats been happening in the \"house\"? Have they been able to straighten out the \"big\" system? have you had any events in the youth room? We were kind of hoping for some pics of the finish install.

Well off to the gig.. Be well..
    G
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    Well Kevin you know I recommended the GL 2400 and in that price range it has no competition at all.
    Hi Gary,...I was hoping you would chime in... For the life of me I couldn't remember the what mixer you recommended... I'll be keeping my eye-out for a good buy on a GL2400-24... I do like the individual channel 48v select and the six auxiliary "balanced" and selectable pre/post outputs for monitors...
    Gadget wrote:
    So whats been happening in the "house"? Have they been able to straighten out the "big" system? have you had any events in the youth room? We were kind of hoping for some pics of the finish install..
    Oh…yea,…I’m definitely planning on posting some more pictures soon… There has been a delay with the carpet installation on the stage,…but we will have used the new sound system for Sunday night service twice if counting tomorrow evening… I want everything to be completed before I post some final pics… I will also include some shots of the youth praise teams jamming-out including my oldest son on his guitar…:)

I think they have "straightened out" the big$$$$$ system but it still doesn't sound very good (to me anyway)... But,...I DO have biased ears!... I really believe the youth's new system sounds dramatically better!...

Thank you!!!

Kevin

Hey Wolfgong,... How's your new install coming along?.. Give me a call...
  • Options
    Gents -

I've been busy. The new project is in 'get approval' mode. It's a small room downtown. 83x36x12.

The old renovation of the gym project is ongoing. 86.5x60x23.

I have a new DR260 in transit, somewhere, probably still in the continental United States. : )

Shipping delays are eating my lunch. I also need rigging hardware to show up. You would not believe the hardware the original installation was done with. Just to give you an idea the ceiling structure in the gym is just like your youth room. The only part they got right on the original install was the uni-strut. I'm not kidding. They screwed non-metric bolts into the bottom rigging points which take the same as yours M10x1.5. So those are useless. My favorite bit of hardware is that they used a 'carriage bolt', yes that's right, a carriage bolt, to fasten the strut to the iron work.

No worries, it's still fun and the sound is getting better.

I would also advocate the Allen Heath. I have mixed on a GL3800 for a church. It is clean, consistent and it is designed for the user. One of my favorite items is the separate channel input meters that help you quickly dial in your input trims. When you get a little green light on that channel you at least know you're getting a signal roughed in and can go on to the next one. And when 'someone' starts to clip you'll see it on his/her input channel.

I recall one week where we slipped the U2 song '40' into the service and that bass line sounded really nice. I was able to accentuate it a bit with the EQ and not a smitch of distortion was presented.

Oh well. I'm kind of rambling. Allergy medication plus my caffiene ratio is way off.

Take Care!
  • Options
    wolfgong wrote:
    I have a new DR260 in transit, somewhere, probably still in the continental United States. : ) Shipping delays are eating my lunch.
    Jay, It took 2 weeks for mine to show up,...but it came at the perfect time... I hope your installs are going smoothly...:)

Kevin
  • Options
    Where you getting them and how much?

DRA
  • Options
    My DR260 came today. :)

I'm getting my units from a place called Uncle Bob's in West Allis Wisconsin. They don't stock them, so they order directly from DBX which is somewhere on the West Coast.

This one came faster because UPS didn't lose it. :roll:

I paid $750 for each of mine. I don't know if that's a good price or not.
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

Based on your recommendations and some additional research I concluded that the Allen & Heath GL2400-32 is the perfect mixer for our youth's set-up... I ordered the new desk this morning and it should arrive by Friday... I can't wait to give it a go!... I'm assumming it would be best to re-set up the gain structure starting out with this new board?... Actually I'm kinda looking forward to doing that...so I can re-apply what I have learned from Gadget...:)

Kevin
  • Options
    Guys,

Got the new desk today!...and I think it's going to be GREAT...:):):)
  • Options
    Kevin -

I just got done looking at the manual for this desk. It sounds like an excellent value. I think you have chosen wisely. 8)

I think you'll find that dialing in your gain structure will be significantly easier and a much quicker process. You will have much more headroom in this mixer. I think you will actually hear more of what is going on as a result. Your recordings will also be cleaner.

Now, I'll be curious as to how you will eventually route your inputs to your subs. Aux fed is the best method because it gives you absolute control, but I would be tempted to use the M buss (the third yellow fader next to the LR faders) because it is simple to do.

I suppose you could do a hybrid thing where you use an aux send from the input channels you want to send to the subs and then send that aux master to M and use the M fader, if that routing is possible.

The possibilities are numerous! I look forward to see how fast you will learn and what great ideas this phase with generate for you and your readers.

Have fun!
  • Options
    wolfgong wrote:
    Now, I'll be curious as to how you will eventually route your inputs to your subs. Aux fed is the best method because it gives you absolute control, but I would be tempted to use the M buss (the third yellow fader next to the LR faders) because it is simple to do.

I suppose you could do a hybrid thing where you use an aux send from the input channels you want to send to the subs and then send that aux master to M and use the M fader, if that routing is possible.

The possibilities are numerous! I look forward to see how fast you will learn and what great ideas this phase with generate for you and your readers.
    Hello Wolfgong,

I'm planning on using the FOH mode and routing the monitors through AUXillarys 1-6... I have a 18' piece of the six channel snake cable left over from the original installation,...and I plan on putting XRL males on one end (one to each channel of the three monitor amps) and 1/4" TRS plugs on the other end for AUX 1-6 at the mixer... Each connector will be labeled respectfully mon-1 through mon-6 on both ends... I really like that the auxillary signals are balanced...in addition to the pre/post selectors... We will probably only use pre-fader mode... I think there are far more possibilities with this desk than I now realize,...but I like the idea of having a lot of versatility built-in for future fun...:)

Wolfgong,...Thank you!!!:mrgreen:

Kevin
  • Options
    Hello guys,

I just remembered: I need to supply our drummer with a unique monitor signal via through a set of headphones... In my absence the youth connected a set of headphones directly into one of the JRX112M monitors and guess what...:)

Anyways,...does anyone have a simple solution?

Kevin
  • Options
    Guys,...I just noticed the following rebate offer today... It must of started on Tuesday 5/1...
    Instant Rebate Good through 05/31/07

Purchase any pair of JBL PA speakers with a dbx DriveRack 260 and receive a $500 instant rebate. Purchase any pair of JBL PA speakers with a dbx DriveRack PA and receive a $250 instant rebate. Add a dbx RTA-M reference mic to your qualifying JBL with DriveRack purchase and receive an additional $50 instant rebate. Rebate is redeemable only through Call Center at 1-800-391-8762.
    Wolfgong,...This also applys to JRX series...:(

Kevin
  • Options
    Kevin -

Good to see you are bustling with activitiy. I don't think I was clear in my post above.

What I was trying to say was, I'll be curious to see how to route you input channels to your 'subwoofers'. Will you use an aux send from each channel as the designated way to send selected input channels to the subs?

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm also curious as to what happened when the kids plugged the headphones into the monitor 1/4 inch. I'm guessing something blew up. Headphones are usually somewhere around 32 ohms and 0.2 watts.

One more thing. Can I add my pix to this string? I plan to post tonight or tomorrow night. I also got the go ahead last night from the tech committee to move the speakers at the gym. Which means we might actually get some gain out of those puppies now! :)

Carry on. This is fun to keep up on.

Thanks for your encouragement!
  • Options
    wolfgong wrote:
    What I was trying to say was, I'll be curious to see how to route you input channels to your 'subwoofers'. Will you use an aux send from each channel as the designated way to send selected input channels to the subs?
    Wolfgong,...I'm gonna let the DR260 handle the subs with the 2X6 crossover off the main LR... It's doing such a wonderful job (thanks to Gadget) I can't imagine trying anything else at this point...:)
    wolfgong wrote:
    I'm also curious as to what happened when the kids plugged the headphones into the monitor 1/4 inch. I'm guessing something blew up. Headphones are usually somewhere around 32 ohms and 0.2 watts.
    Let's just say...I wish I was there when the drummer jumped out of his pants and knocked over half of his kit... Yea,...I think he heard a very LOUD POP!!! LOL...
    wolfgong wrote:
    One more thing. Can I add my pix to this string? I plan to post tonight or tomorrow night. I also got the go ahead last night from the tech committee to move the speakers at the gym. Which means we might actually get some gain out of those puppies now! :).
    Jay,...I'm counting on it...:)

Kevin
  • Options
    Kevin, I have the solution you need for the headphones. Don't plug them into that speaker again. The subs, on the other hand, would be OK for the headphones to plug into.

Wolfie, I found this article on \"AUX FED SUBS\", it is pretty detailed. It doesn't answer your particular ? for Kevin's set-up, but none the less good.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/install/tech ... subs.shtml

Gadget, You say that you mix stereo, primarily for fx, and use aux fed subs. What are you using for your sub's Hi & Lo pass filtering? My next ? doesn't make sense to me, but maybe you can shed some light. Channels containing vocals, guitars, & other non lo freq inputs are sent only to the mid / hi (L/R Mains) outs. Lets assume a 100 hz lo-limit to these speakers. The H&A mixer above has a 100 hz cut on each channel. Does this not give the same end result (keeping the lo end trash from these inputs out of the subs), if applied? Like I said, it doesn't make sense, because if I roll the lo - EQ (70 hz on my Peavey) on the channel to -15 db then that vocal, or what ever, will sound like crap. Maybe the 70 hz is the center freq, not the knee, and it's cutting well above that as well? Does that mean then that the 100 hz cut on the H&A board channel could work?
    Can I throw wrenches or what?

DRA
  • Options
    Dra -

Many thanks for the article on aux subs! I love the simple diagrams. I'll read this in more depth tonight.

Take care!
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Dra wrote:
    Kevin, I have the solution you need for the headphones. Don't plug them into that speaker again. The subs, on the other hand, would be OK for the headphones to plug into.
    Hello Dra,

Thank you so very much for your help!... I'll stop by the church and tell the youth...while I'm out picking-up our new DBX SAM-100 Sonic Array Maximizer...

Kevin
  • Options
    Dra -

I have had the same question about those input channel roll-off switches for years. It'll be interesting to hear what Gadget has to say.

All I know from my limited experience is that if you run subs without selectively routing them, you end up with a lot of artifacts to deal with and while you are trying to fix those artifacts you usually compromise the sound quality.

Here's one example. The church where I used to mix has their two-mix going right into the DR260 and the subs coming right out of the DR on say ch 5-6. All the input channels are routed to the two-mix(L-R). Every time the pastor would speak there would be this big breath/rumble noise. It would actually startle people sitting up front. I informed them that it was coming from their subs. The solution to their problem is to mute the sub channels when he is speaking. With an aux feed setup, you don't ever send that pastor's mic to the subs at all. Viola! (Or something like that.) : )

They still don't get it though. They just keep muting the sub channels (when they remember) or until there's another good deathrattle to scare the people and wake up the sound guy. :wink: