Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series Connectivity
Options

Sleep...is just a crutch.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Gadget,
    I'll go check. I have to unplug my laptop and bring it to the dj booth and see. I'll be back in a few :) .

Thanks.

Rob
  • Options
    Gadget,

I triple checked all the limiters...all off. AFS, PEQ's, Live Filter Lift Off.

I set the NS7 to no clip light this time, but virtually the same results. Output 6 is screaming compared to all the other outputs.

Here are the results this time:

Input faders @ -2dB, Masters at Unity
    Input Meters: +12
    Outputs 1&2: -30
    Outputs 3&4: +4
    Output 5: 0
    Output 6: Bouncing in yeloow at +18.

When I turn up the amps all the way, here are the readings for the highest level the lights go (on the amp clip indicators of each amp):

XTi2000 for Output 1&2: -20
    XTi6000 for Output 3&4: -10
    MA5000VZ for Output 5: Solid Signal, no clipping at all.
    Outfill XTi6000 & 2000, just a signal, not even to -20.

And the crossover gains...Outputs 1&2 (-14)dB, Outputs 3&4 (-1.7)dB, Output 5 (-2.3)dB.

Also, Channel 6 does have a highpass filter - 91Hz LR24

Thanks again.

Rob
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Too much room here for conjecture and guseework...

the MASTER meters on the mixer should indicate JUST clipping...

What does the input level of the 260 indicate (hint, use the computer & GUI... assuming the computer is fast enough...)?

What does the output meters on the 260 indicate?

what are the GAIN dB's of the individual crossovers/filters on the outputs of the 260?
  • Options
    Gadget,

Yes, I am using the GUI to do all of this.
    the MASTER meters on the mixer should indicate JUST clipping...
    I have that, though I've also tried it further up and down, too.
    What does the input level of the 260 indicate (hint, use the computer & GUI... assuming the computer is fast enough...)?
    Input faders @ -2dB, Masters at Unity
    Input Meters: +12
    What does the output meters on the 260 indicate?
    Outputs 1&2: -30
    Outputs 3&4: +4
    Output 5: 0
    Output 6: Bouncing in yeloow at +18.
    what are the GAIN dB's of the individual crossovers/filters on the outputs of the 260?
    Crossover gains: Outputs 1&2 (-14)dB, Outputs 3&4 (-1.7)dB, Output 5 (-2.3)dB, and Channel 6 does have a highpass filter - 91Hz LR24.

I played with the crossover gains, even jacked them all the way up, but that only enabled the Outfill amps to clip. I also tried decreasing the crossover gain for Output 6 (which evened things out, but no clipping still).

I went through the wizard and set up a few programs to see if that changed anything, but no drastic changes from those.

Rob
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Can you refresh us on what the inputs are? Such as 1 & 2 top mains (#), filtered 100hz - 18Khz. 3 & 4 subs (#), filtered 40hz - 100hz. etc.

DRA
  • Options
    Can you refresh us on what the inputs are? Such as 1 & 2 top mains (#), filtered 100hz - 18Khz. 3 & 4 subs (#), filtered 40hz - 100hz. etc.
    Okay...

Output 1 - Left HF, HPF 1.122kHz, LR48, Gain -14dB
    Output 2 - Right HF, HPF 1.122kHz, LR48, Gain -14dB
    Output 3 - Left Mid, HPF 91Hz, LR48, LPF 1.155kHz, Gain -1.7dB
    Output 4 - Right Mid, HPF 91Hz, LR48, LPF 1.155kHz, Gain -1.7dB
    Output 5 - SRX718S Sub (2), Mono, HPF 30.4Hz, BW18, LPF 88.4Hz, LR48, Gain -2.3
    Output 6 - A&B Summed, HPF 91Hz, LR24 (this output goes to (1) XTi2000 w/ internal processing for (2) Outfill HF drivers, mono, inputs summed, settings similar to Outputs 1&2 of the 260, and also to (1) XTi6000 that does the same for (2) Outfill Mids...internal processing setting similar to Outputs 3&4).

Rob
  • Options
    At this point, I'm certain the gain structure problem is NS7 related, not anything to do with the driverack or the settings.

I was able to set up a makeshift gain structure last night, just by playing various songs for a few hours from different music categories at a volume significantly higher than we would normally be at. I tweaked and tweaked until there was no clipping (only the MA5000VZ actually clipped on some of the real hard-hitting bass Hip Hop songs).

I realize this way isn't as effective as w/ the pink noise, but since my set up stays the same, I'm comfortable w/ the way it's set now.

That said...

The orange/yellow lights at the very top of the output meters on the driverack (threshold lights)...they do light up when the music hits real hard. What exactly does that mean?

Thanks.

Rob
  • Options
    MA5000VZ actually clipped on some of the real hard-hitting bass Hip Hop songs).

You wanna elaborate on this? The MA series do NOT have clip lights... only the odep setup... when the green lights start to dim the amp is running out of gas...(power supply exhaustion)

The lights on the top of the LED ladders are compression/limiter/clip lights...or threshold meters...If any of the internal stages of the driverack are clipping "CLIP" will be indicated/displayed on the LCD display...

Either you still have on limiters/comps...or you are exceeding the threshold of the stages...

G
  • Options
    So how is it that the NS7 can have that affect on ONLY the #6 output of the driverack?

I'm still confused as to the gain structure you are using in the 260
    Output 6 - A&B Summed, HPF 91Hz, LR24 (this output goes to (1) XTi2000 w/ internal processing for (2) Outfill HF drivers, mono, inputs summed, settings similar to Outputs 1&2 of the 260, and also to (1) XTi6000 that does the same for (2) Outfill Mids...internal processing setting similar to Outputs 3&4).

each of the other outputs have been given a gain value...
    1-2 -14 horns
    3-4 -1.7 mids
    5 -2.3
    6 ____ outfills I see NOWHERE that you have indicated what the gain of this stage is...the others look about ballpark...(although I don't get the #5 -2.3 where the subs ... the least efficient component.. is lower than the mids with an amp with much less potential (XTi4000) than the Mac5...

G
  • Options
    Gadget,
    I sent you a PM :) .

But to clear up a few things...

I only asked about the threshold lights as they light up NOW, just playing music...not when I was trying to set up the gain structure.

The gain on CH6 is 0.

The bottom light on the MA5000VZ did turn red during a few instances...I thought that was a clip indicator, but the manual describes it as reaching max output, or too many speakers connected (which I imagine it was max output).

Rob