Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Compact Flash Cards

Comments

• Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    When you duplicate the card you need to do a bit identical copy. Think of it as cloning the disc. If you just attempt to use windows to copy the contents of what shows up as the CF card you are actually only seeing part of the picture, there is more to the card. Have at some posts earlier in this thread for some pointers.
  • Options
    jisaacjisaac Posts: 34
    I went through this thread but still dont understand..
    The programmer that gave me the CF file states that as far as he knows images are necessary for MODEROS but that CF files for masters are just regular files..regardless though, how would i take a folder on my C drive and "convert" it into whatever format or image or file type etc. that i can then transfer to the CF card?

I know just copy and paste onto a blank CF dosent work.. could it be because its 4gb? i couldnt find anything smaller.
    If i try to copy to the original AMX CF, do i delete the existing files first & then put the new file onto there?

Thanks in advance.

FYI: the "good" CF file i have was given to me by someone who did backups of good CF files for NIX000 & NIX100 masters. He had it on a thumb drive & i dragged it over to my desktop. The " good" CF file i have lives on my C drive.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The CF may have regular files, but they are Unix format (at least on panels, I'm not certain about the master CF since I've never mucked with one). A Windows formatted CF won't work. That's why we generally use an image, since it can be done cross-platform. The thing is, if you put a 250M image on a 4G card, the card will "become" 250M because the image sets the partition to that size. It will work fine though, I've done it many times with panels.

However, even if the master files are Windows based, it can't hurt to just use an image, above proviso in mind. I expect it's not working for you because of the boot partition not being correct on your "blank" card. The master doesn't know how to boot from it.
  • Options
    chillchill Posts: 186
    jisaac wrote: »
    Just so i understand this,
    1) I have to physically open a master to access the CF card
    2) Does the working master CF have to be the same model as the master being recovered? i.e. do i need CF from an NI- 700 to flash my bricked NI-700?
    3) will any CF reader/writer do? i have a laptop with XP or a macbook, what are folks using?

this is very timely as i have a bricked NI-700 and a newly bricked NI-2000.

1) Yes, you have to open the case. It might also be wise to use some kind of static control measures.

2) I have not tried mixing models, but my guess would be that the image you copy *does* have to be from the same model master. The particular example you give will not work. The rackmount NIs have a removable CF card, but the NI-700 (probably the 900 as well) has its CF soldered to the motherboard and not a physical CF card that you can unplug.

3) I've only tried two CF readers, both USB. They both worked fine, although they're slow. I think a larger issue is using the correct software. As others have noted, you want a block-by-block copy; you are NOT simply copying files. Unix and Linux have the dd command, which works like a champ. How to do this under Windows seems to be a topic of some controversy, and I know nothing about it. I haven't seen any discussion of doing this on a Mac, but again it will be a matter of using the right software; dd may be available, depending on how much access Apple gives you to the shell.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    jisaacjisaac Posts: 34
    Im kind of throwing in the towel here. I cant recover my ni2000 because i have no image files for it. The NI 700 card is said to be soldered on so im not sure how to get at the CF. With my 8400 panel, after trying software after software and even using Slax (from CD) , using dd to make an image (from 512 onto a 4gb sandisk ultra) i get as far as being able to *almost* load a tpd4 file and then get the error: "not enough memory to load files" or something like that. The transfer aborts & my 8400 no longer shows up as a device (via USB transfer, i have no masters). Im out of options.

On a side note: I think its disgusting that these *EXPENSIVE* devices can croak during firmware transfers and the only real resource is to send it to AMX-- $500 for a panel $300 for a master. Really? $500 to fix something that should NEVER happen? i can buy a new Ipad for that price. Meanwhile, i am officially without any test gear. NI700, Ni2000 & MVP 8400 all bricked and out of warranty. this beyond blows.
  • Options
    jisaac wrote: »
    Im kind of throwing in the towel here. I cant recover my ni2000 because i have no image files for it. The NI 700 card is said to be soldered on so im not sure how to get at the CF. With my 8400 panel, after trying software after software and even using Slax (from CD) , using dd to make an image (from 512 onto a 4gb sandisk ultra) i get as far as being able to *almost* load a tpd4 file and then get the error: "not enough memory to load files" or something like that. The transfer aborts & my 8400 no longer shows up as a device (via USB transfer, i have no masters). Im out of options.

On a side note: I think its disgusting that these *EXPENSIVE* devices can croak during firmware transfers and the only real resource is to send it to AMX-- $500 for a panel $300 for a master. Really? $500 to fix something that should NEVER happen? i can buy a new Ipad for that price. Meanwhile, i am officially without any test gear. NI700, Ni2000 & MVP 8400 all bricked and out of warranty. this beyond blows.

Couple things. First of all, not all of the firmware resides on the CF. The boot-load portion is on a chip, and if that portion gets scrambled, you are dead. It has to go back to AMX at that point. Out of warranty or not, they do sometimes (no promises) make exceptions when it comes to firmware transfers going awry, so call them, you never know. And I just have to throw in ... if you have multiple devices scrambled by bad firmware transfers, you really have to look at your own system and method of transfer. I have had maybe two transfers go south on me in ten years (and one was definitely my own fault because I powered down in the middle, forgetting I wasn't finished). I've had maybe 3 CF cards go bad all by themselves. For the amount of time I've been doing AMX and the number of systems I have installed, that's less than 1%. I wish Runco had such a good track record.
  • Options
    gromangroman Posts: 1
    I have a mvp-7500 6 years old and CF cards with corrupted firmwares. I try to collect a firmware from different partitions by WinHex with no results. Need to raw files any format with good firmware for this panel (firmwares for 8400,8400i lock my touchscreen). Can anybody help me? Project deadline already soon. Thanks and sorry for my english.
  • Options
    roognationroognation Posts: 138
    CF Disk Images

Anyone willing to post a link to a CF image...my MVP8400 died (green blinky frozen on AMX Logo page during boot) with a 64MB compact flash (Simpletech). Of course, I did not back-up this CF image and now wish I had.

Yes, as previously noted: AMX charging $ 500 to look at a touchpanel that is out of warranty is a bit discouraging. Especially when this equipment is used internally for development.

Thx!
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I've got a 128 & 512 backup, no 64 though. If you get one of those cards I'd be happy to send you a Paragon Hard Disk Manager image.
  • Options
    I have a bunch of CF images, but no 8400. Sorry.
  • Options
    jjames wrote: »
    I've got a 128 & 512 backup, no 64 though. If you get one of those cards I'd be happy to send you a Paragon Hard Disk Manager image.

I caved and bought a new 4GB compact flash card; and that works great in my antique MVP8400.

And I thought I would try to keep a backup of this image for safe keeping. I downloaded the Paragon Hard Disk Manager and am trying to make a backup image, but this program seems to be having some difficulty with the CF card image. "Some error occured: the disk is not initialized. Please run Windows Disk Manager to resolve this problem." Of course, I am not going to do that, but would like a little push in the right direction on making a proper backup (with a GUI, please) image of the standard CF.

Little help?

Thx!
  • Options
    AuserAuser Posts: 506
    roognation wrote: »
    Of course, I am not going to do that, but would like a little push in the right direction on making a proper backup (with a GUI, please) image of the standard CF.

John Gonzales pointed out Raw Copy from Roadkil.net way back in 2009. This just copies from one disk to another.

Fortunately Roadkil now have Disk Image which allows you to take a direct backup which can be saved as a file and subsequently restore it to another disk. I'm not sure whether this was around when John pointed out Raw Copy.

Ok, so it doesn't store the image file in any standard .iso or similar format, but it's small, light and works really well on compact flash cards.

http://www.roadkil.net/program.php/P12/Disk%20Image

But, and it's a big but, it won't allow you to resize partitions if you're moving an image onto a card that is larger than the original. 64MB image on 4GB card = 64MB of space available/used + 3.9GB wasted space.

You'll still need a partition manager to resize the partitions if you want to utilise the extra space that is available on the larger card.
  • Options
    Worked!

That worked great. I bought a 4GB card to try apples-apples and that just worked perfectly with the roadkil program. And now I have a 4GB image stored away as a backup on my server as well as a 4GB compact flash (the original) safely tucked away in my tool box.

Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    Sorry for jumping in a little late. Glad to see things worked out. I think I'll need to play with this Roadkill program a bit.

FYI - you can order the SanDisk cards (512MB I think) that AMX used to use (maybe still do?) for something like $25 from Amazon still.
  • Options
    pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    I've been replacing the 256mb sandisk cards with 4gb verbatim whenever they fail now, I don't care that the filesystem is still based on the 256mb card after rewriting the img file, I'm just happy that I can keep my panels running.
  • Options
    mushmush Posts: 287
    pdabrowski wrote: »
    I've been replacing the 256mb sandisk cards with 4gb verbatim whenever they fail now, I don't care that the filesystem is still based on the 256mb card after rewriting the img file, I'm just happy that I can keep my panels running.

After you've written the image on your 4GB card you can then use partition resizing software to utilise all the space on the card. I do it all the time with GParted.
  • Options
    loutlout Posts: 3
    NXT-CV12 Image
    chill wrote: »
    I have a bunch of CF images, but no 8400. Sorry.

Do you have an image for an NXT-CV12?
  • Options
    I have two CV7s (different firmwares), a CV10, and two NI3100s.
  • Options
    lout wrote: »
    Do you have an image for an NXT-CV12?

I don't, sorry. Just started my collection.
  • Options
    CF Image NI-2000

does anyone have the CF image for NI-2000
  • Options
    I'm also looking for a MVP-8400 flash image. Anybody have it?
  • Options
    Bigsquatch wrote: »

Got the 8400i if that's any help
  • Options
    Bigsquatch wrote: »

I can send you an image in 'DD', 'Norton ghost 2003' or 'OnBelay V2' image format.
  • Options
    Thanks everybody. I have a copy now of the file. Now I just need to find a CF card reader/writer to test the file & my MVP.

However the testing has been put on hold for now. I am working on a job and the guy who hired me set me up with a working MVP-8400 and a NXD-700i that I am using for testing panel designs & code while working on this project.
  • Options
    Anyone have a CV10 image?
  • Options
    I have an image file for an NXT-CV10 version 2.86.29 with the demo pages. I can post it somewhere later tonight.
  • Options
    Ni-2000 CompactFlash Image...

Hi to all!!!
    I've my Ni-2000 bricked...somebody can kindly send me if possible the CF image???
    notime23@gmail.com

THANKS!!! =)
  • Options
    BrettBrett Posts: 1
    Help with an MVP-7500 compact flash image!

Does anyone have a 128 MB or 512 MB image for an MVP-7500. Tried loading firmware to my 64 MB Compact Flash card but files were larger then the space available on the CF. Something happenned and now it won't complete its boot cycle. Need to upgrade to larger compact flash card to avoid this issue in the future. My email is brett.carpenter@avisions.com. My thanks to anyone who might be able to help.
  • Options
    Brett wrote: »
    Does anyone have a 128 MB or 512 MB image for an MVP-7500. Tried loading firmware to my 64 MB Compact Flash card but files were larger then the space available on the CF. Something happenned and now it won't complete its boot cycle. Need to upgrade to larger compact flash card to avoid this issue in the future. My email is brett.carpenter@avisions.com. My thanks to anyone who might be able to help.

Please note that the firmware version that you flash on your card must be the same as the version currently on the card. Otherwise you may experience problems, such as failure to boot.
  • Options
    mush wrote: »
    Please note that the firmware version that you flash on your card must be the same as the version currently on the card. Otherwise you may experience problems, such as failure to boot.

This is very true ... and the reason is that some of the bootstrap routines are not on the CF, but in non-volatile RAM. Not always, but sometimes, if they mismatch versions, the entire boot sequence will hang. A firmware update writes to both, but if you can't get it started up in the first place, that won't help you.