Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Compact Flash Cards

Comments

• Options
    mushmush Posts: 287
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    ...A firmware update writes to both, but if you can't get it started up in the first place, that won't help you.

If you have a panel that won't boot you can plug into the debug port on the main board. At start up it will tell you what version of firmware it is running.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    mush wrote: »
    If you have a panel that won't boot you can plug into the debug port on the main board. At start up it will tell you what version of firmware it is running.

Would you mind expanding on this? There several "debug" ports on the board . . . and they're not USB, so a pinout would be good too.
  • Options
    Could someone clarify how the CF memory is used on a master.

I've run into memory issues in large programs before. In fact the one I'm working on now won't fit on the 3000 that I have at my office. Thankfully my AMX rep was able to get me a loaner 4100 to continue prepping an upcoming project. This has come into play by using many touch panels and many virtual devices to integrate with physical devices. And of course if duet is involved........

Anyway, this thread got me wondering how exactly the CF comes into play.

I am having trouble finding the right resource to look at how all the different memory on a processor is used by the running program.

If someone has a thread or technote to look at that would be cool.

Thanks,

Jimi
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    The CF does not contribute program RAM to the NetLinx. You can't run larger programs because you have a larger CF.

The 3000 has been out of production for what, 7 years now? Just like you can't run Windows 7 on an old computer with 256 meg of RAM, you can't run the new firmware for NetLinx in the old limited memory boxes, at least not with much room left. The 3100 has twice the ram, the new 3100-256 has eight times the memory.

The RAM is old style on-board chips due to the original design of the NetLinx and operating system, so you can't plug in more ram. It has to be the olde style, and the OS can't count high enough to accommodate more than 256m. Whatever comes next will require a new board design and a new OS design. Expensive for a down economy, so not likely soon.
  • Options
    I'm not saying . . . I'm just saying
    John Nagy wrote: »
    Expensive for a down economy, so not likely soon.
    Must be why Cre$tron is coming out with some really slick stuff (have you seen their Core 3 UI?!) . . . as much as I love AMX, they're stuck in 1988, particularly with their panels.

*Singing*
    "Video killed the radio star"
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    jjames wrote: »
    Must be why Cre$tron is coming out with some really slick stuff (have you seen their Core 3 UI?!) . . . as much as I love AMX, they're stuck in 1988, particularly with their panels.

*Singing*
    "Video killed the radio star"
    And I also heard they're working with MS to develop Kinects and with Apple to incorporate Siri. So you can use hand gestures like you're playing an XBox Kinects game but instead be in a board room advancing Power Point slides by moving your arms and hands, etc. The Siri I guess would provide voice control.

I did hear a rumor that AMX was working on a new master design and not built on the limited abilities of vxWorks.
  • Options
    If AMX built it upon .Net, like C-tron has, I'd be happy.
  • Options
    jjames wrote: »
    Would you mind expanding on this? There several "debug" ports on the board . . . and they're not USB, so a pinout would be good too.

As far as I can remember the port on the board is labelled debug.
    It is a RS232 port.
    So use pins 2, 3 & 5 (counting from the left) and from memory use a crossover.
    115200 8N1

Works on masters too.

Have fun!
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    On the newer masters its there, but sans label. I'll grab a photo when I'm back in the office next week.
  • Options
    John Nagy wrote: »
    The 3100 has twice the ram, the new 3100-256 has eight times the memory.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Also, I was informed yesterday by of the AMX guys that if you flip dip switch 3 on the back of the NI's and reboot it will turn the program port into the debug port. Again, I'm yet to try it but it'll be the first thing I'm doing Monday morning.

edit: works - same baud as internal port.
  • Options
    joseaniojoseanio Posts: 42
    NI-200 Compact Flash Image

Hi all,

I have a NI2000 with compact flash damaged. Unfortunally i do not have a compact flash image file of this controller.

Could someone please send me by email a NI2000 compact flash image file ????

Thanks in advance

joseanio@jpghh.com.br
  • Options
    joseanio wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a NI200 with compact flash damaged. Unfortunally i do not have a compact flash image file of this controller.

Could someone please send me by email a NI200 compact flash image file ????

Thanks in advance

joseanio@jpghh.com.br

G'day Joe,

Do you know what version firmware the master was running?
    Is the CF card completely dead? (I.E. can you see its contents in Windows with a card reader?)
    What disc imaging software are you using?

Cheers

Mush
  • Options
    G'day Joe,

Do you know what version firmware the master was running?
    Is the CF card completely dead? (I.E. can you see its contents in Windows with a card reader?)
    What disc imaging software are you using?

Cheers

Mush

Hi Mush,

Thanks by your message.

The master was running firmware Version 2.20.115
    CF card is working fine, we can read and write in it.
    We are using gost 11.

I have CF image backup from NI-x100, but unfortunately NIx000 i do not have.
    I made a bad mistake. I did not CF backup before try update the firmware.

Cheers

joseanio@jpghh.com.br
  • Options
    Hi Mush,

Thanks by your message.

The master was running firmware Version 2.20.115
    CF card is working fine, we can read and write in it.
    We are using gost 11.

I have CF image backup from NI-x100, but unfortunately NIx000 i do not have.
    I made a bad mistake. I did not CF backup before try update the firmware.

Cheers

joseanio@jpghh.com.br

G'day Joe,

Just sent you the firmware to copy to the CF card.
    Let me know if you have any problems.

Cheers

Mush
  • Options
    I did the steps and the NI2000 boot , i upgraded the firmware and it is working again. But i am having problem to access over network , I did the update over rs232 program port.

Have you ever seen it before ??

Please let me ask you . The boot of NI2000 is a lot slower them the NI2100

Joseanio

G'day Joseanio,

Glad to hear that the files worked!
    Can you be more specific with the problems you are having over the network? I.E. Is the IP address set? Can you see the box on the network?

Yes the NI-x000 series is slower than the NI-x100 series.
    NI-x000 has 32MB of RAM and a 257MIPS(?) processor.
    NI-x100 has 64MB of RAM (now also available with 256MB) and a 404MIPS processor.

Cheers
  • Options
    G'day Joe,

Just sent you the firmware to copy to the CF card.
    Let me know if you have any problems.

Cheers

Mush

Hi Mush,

The problem happen this way :

NI2000 is running with master firmware v 2.32.148 and device firmware v 1.30.8. I have not updated to duet master v 3.60.453. When i updated to v3.60.453 the master does not boot.

When the NI2000 is running with v2.32.148 and v1.30.8 , master works, the code works, but I can not connect the master by ethernet.
    I can see the master on the network, I can ping to master, I can connect with telnet cliente but any command, a simply "help command" on telnet console is so slowly.
    I can not connect by internet explore, the page do not open.
    I can not connect by netlinx studio too, the netlinx find the master on listen mode , but the connection fail when I request a refresh system.

I think that the problem is because v1.30.8 is not compatible with v2.32.148 ; v1.30.8 needs v3.60.447 or later, is that right ?

Do you have a diferente image from NI-2000 card flash to send me ?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    AuserAuser Posts: 506
    I can connect with telnet cliente but any command, a simply "help command" on telnet console is so slowly.

Tends to be indicative of either bad network connection or (more often) a program that has gone off into the weeds. Have you tried booting the control system with the program run disable dip switch on?
  • Options
    chillchill Posts: 186
    ... I can not connect the master by ethernet.
    I can see the master on the network, I can ping to master, I can connect with telnet cliente but any command, a simply "help command" on telnet console is so slowly.
    I can not connect by netlinx studio too, the netlinx find the master on listen mode , but the connection fail when I request a refresh system...

This sounds more like a networking issue than anything else - maybe a duplicate IP address, wrong netmask or some such? I would try connecting directly from your laptop to the NI using a crossover cable, with nothing else connected. Also double-check that your IP numbers are correct.
  • Options
    Auser wrote: »
    Tends to be indicative of either bad network connection or (more often) a program that has gone off into the weeds. Have you tried booting the control system with the program run disable dip switch on?

Hi Chris,

I done this, NI2000 connected directly to the hub/router with only the notebook, not worked. Works fine with another NI900, too.
    The network is fine. There is no ip conflict.

Yes I set the program run disabled to on. Nothing changed.

The netlinx code installed on master is working, controlling relays, irs, io. The only problem is ethernet connection.

Thanks.
  • Options
    chill wrote: »
    I have two CV7s (different firmwares), a CV10, and two NI3100s.

Hi Chris,

Can you please send me the CV7 CF image by email, I have one unit bricked too.

thanks in advance,

joseanio@jpghh.com.br
  • Options
    chill wrote: »
    This sounds more like a networking issue than anything else - maybe a duplicate IP address, wrong netmask or some such? I would try connecting directly from your laptop to the NI using a crossover cable, with nothing else connected. Also double-check that your IP numbers are correct.

Hi Chris,

You were right, the problem was the Dlink Switcher, the system works with NI900 and NI3100, but not works with NI2000, i changed the switcher and the NI2000 connects perfectly over ethernet.
    I do not know what the problem with switcher because computers and notebook are connecting over it.
    any way now NI2000 is working.

Thanks all
  • Options
    G'day Joseanio,

Glad to hear that the files worked!
    Can you be more specific with the problems you are having over the network? I.E. Is the IP address set? Can you see the box on the network?

Yes the NI-x000 series is slower than the NI-x100 series.
    NI-x000 has 32MB of RAM and a 257MIPS(?) processor.
    NI-x100 has 64MB of RAM (now also available with 256MB) and a 404MIPS processor.

Cheers

Mush,

Thanks by your files, they works fine now. The problem was the network switcher failing ethernet connection.
  • Options
    Hi Mush,

The problem happen this way :

NI2000 is running with master firmware v 2.32.148 and device firmware v 1.30.8. I have not updated to duet master v 3.60.453. When i updated to v3.60.453 the master does not boot.

When the NI2000 is running with v2.32.148 and v1.30.8 , master works, the code works, but I can not connect the master by ethernet.
    I can not connect by netlinx studio too, the netlinx find the master on listen mode , but the connection fail when I request a refresh system.

I think that the problem is because v1.30.8 is not compatible with v2.32.148 ; v1.30.8 needs v3.60.447 or later, is that right ?

Do you have a diferente image from NI-2000 card flash to send me ?

Thanks in advance.

G'day Joseanio,

You need to match the device and master firmware.
    I would recommend updating the master to v3.60.453.
    Cheers

Mush
  • Options
    Hi Mush,

The NI2000 image worked fine, the network problem was the switcher. I changed the switcher and the connection return.

I have a NXD-CV7 and NXT-1200VG both bricked, Have you the card flash image for them . If yes , could you you please send me ??

Thanks in advance.
    G'day Joseanio,

Sorry, I don't have any images for those panels.
    I may be able to get them for you but I need to know the firmware versions that the panels are currently running. This is far more critical in panels than in masters.

Have you checked the cards? They are formatted with EXT2 from memory. Depending on what's wrong with them you may be able to clone them to a new card and then re-install the firmware once you have the panel back up and running (I have done this before).

Cheers

Mush
  • Options
    G'day Joseanio,

Sorry, I don't have any images for those panels.
    I may be able to get them for you but I need to know the firmware versions that the panels are currently running. This is far more critical in panels than in masters.

Have you checked the cards? They are formatted with EXT2 from memory. Depending on what's wrong with them you may be able to clone them to a new card and then re-install the firmware once you have the panel back up and running (I have done this before).

Cheers

Mush

Hi Mush,

The NXD-CV7 is SA2258-15 Rev C1 firmware were PC2258-C V2.46.38 and yes I can read and copy files from the CF.

The NXT-1200VG is FG2260 REV B2 the firmware version is not signed on CF and I can not read anything from him.

Cheers
  • Options
    The NXD-CV7 is SA2258-15 Rev C1 firmware were PC2258-C V2.46.38 and yes I can read and copy files from the CF.

Try cloning the card to a new card and see how you go.
    The NXT-1200VG is FG2260 REV B2 the firmware version is not signed on CF and I can not read anything from him.

You will need to hook into the debug port on the motherboard at boot time. As the panel starts up it will report the firmware version.
    It is a RS232 port.
    115200 8N1
  • Options
    Try cloning the card to a new card and see how you go.

You will need to hook into the debug port on the motherboard at boot time. As the panel starts up it will report the firmware version.
    It is a RS232 port.
    115200 8N1

Oh Yes, Mush

Thanks by share your knowledge with us.

here go

NXT-1200VG-RGB
    Board S/N = 225061XP4250015
    Bootloader Version = v2.60.25 Mar 30 2006 12:02:58

After boot i can see AMX logo on the screen.

thanks again,

Joseanio Galdino
    joseanio@jpghh.com.br

Initializing PSOC ... Done!
    ####> ERASE INIT 1

####> ERASE INIT 2

####> ERASE INIT 4

####>MVP/NX BootLoader

Wired ethernet supported
    Mordor BIOS, Revision v2.60.25.
    Copyright (c) 1999-2000 MIPS Technologies, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.

For a list of available commands, type 'help'.

Programming FPGA .FPGA Load Address @ BFD80000
    ............................................ Done!
    ####>(Au1550)
    ####> PCI Enabled...

Compilation time = Mar 30 2006 12:02:54
    Board type/revision = 0x05 (AMX Mordor Platform) / 0x00 - MORDOR-12
    FPGA version = 00000000
    MAC address = 00.60.9f.91.11.18
    Board S/N = 225061XP4250015

Processor Company ID = 0x03
    Processor ID/revision = 0x02 / 0x00
    Endianness = Little
    CPU = 492 MHz
    Flash memory size = 2 MByte
    SDRAM size = 256 MByte
    First free SDRAM address = 0x800fcd44
    Compact Flash Info = PRESENT
    WARNING: Environment variable 'ipaddr' is undefined!
    WARNING: Environment variable 'subnetmask' is undefined!

Environment variable 'start' exists. After 2 seconds
    it will be interpreted as a YAMON command and executed.
    Press Ctrl-C to bypass this.

Kernel Load Option = 0
    Bank 0 str_root = root=/dev/hda3
    Root Parameter = /dev/hda3
    Deregistering I2CINterruptDefault Partition 0 root param /dev/hda3
  • Options

So, did you get it all running with v2.60.25?
  • Options
    So, did you get it all running with v2.60.25?

Yes, I saw the boot version by debug port , but the NXT-1200 stop boot sequence on AMX logo.
    I can not connect Netlinx studio by usb cable or network.

Do you have CF image for this panels with these firmware versions ??

NXT-1200 Firmware v2.60.25
    NXD-CV7 Firmware V2.46.38

cheers,

joseanio