Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

AMX iPhone app

Comments

• amdpoweramdpower Posts: 110
    I've given iRidium a shot and it's not too bad. It offers a conversion process for TPD4 files and I figured out that you can edit your E:\Program Files\Common Files\AMXShare\G4SupportFiles\PPFs\PPF.xml file to include a native resolution for the iPod. I just added it to the TPI section. I don't like that there is no audio support and I am having trouble getting button presses to work on different ports (They show up as port 1). I sent samples to the author of the software but haven't heard back.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Anything new on this? It would be a shame if it gets bought and buried as has been shared. What are alternatives that others are using? Has anyone used iMaster? Any thoughts on iMaster vs iRidium? Does anyone have a link to iRidium as I can't find anything?Thanks.

I am wondering if at this point they have been sued out of business. It doesn't look like they had any agreement with AMX and so their application would have broken EULAs. I am guessing there were served with an injunction hours before they opened.
    Paul
  • amdpower wrote: »
    I've given iRidium a shot and it's not too bad. It offers a conversion process for TPD4 files and I figured out that you can edit your E:\Program Files\Common Files\AMXShare\G4SupportFiles\PPFs\PPF.xml file to include a native resolution for the iPod. I just added it to the TPI section. I don't like that there is no audio support and I am having trouble getting button presses to work on different ports (They show up as port 1). I sent samples to the author of the software but haven't heard back.

I sent an email to Iridium about a couple of issues, one of which was the port issue. I got an email back that they found some things and are working on the program to fix them. That was about 2 weeks ago if I remember correctly. I have not received any updates as of yet.

Thanks for the heads up on the resolution change. I'll have to try that when I get back into dealing with my Iridium setup.
  • iRidium Update

Hi Guys.

We have updated the program iRidium.
    We have corrected the error with ports, and many others.
    All the old keys will work with this version.
    Full list of changes and additions, I will write later.

Best Regards,
    Dmitry Shulgin
    iRidium Mobile
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I can't beleive that nothing has been said about the fate of the iPhone ap. If it really did what they say it did, it's such a shame. Some closure would be nice.
  • Perfect timing. I never checked my work email, but Dmitry had emailed me back over the weekend with links to the updated version of iRidium. Thanks for the follow up and updates.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Well, I was going to use:
    Lord, grant me the power the change the things I can,
    accept the things I can?t,
    and the wisdom to know the difference.

but in my journey on the net to find it, I stumbled upon a blog with a car crash type photo. In the interest of decency, I won't post the link, but I do like the way they modified the saying:
    Lord, grant me the power the change the things I can, accept the things I can?t, and the power to ignore the dumbasses that surround me?

If you are feeling adventurous, I am sure you can easily find the blog, but make sure you have some mouthwash and a toothbrush handy :) (It is not of a sexual or fetish nature)

Back on topic, I have accepted that I will probably never see the TPC app nor will I ever find out if CTron bought them to prevent competition, if AMX bought them to stop the app's release, a lawsuit put an injunction against them, or whatever...

Jeff
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    Well, the iRidium thing is from Russia, maybe laws are different there? ;)
    Because I'm guessing the iRidium is breaking the same laws as the TouchpanelControl one...

I was looking at the ******** Mobile application, it costs 99 dollar, and you can create a complete interface using VTPro-E.

Why won't AMX release something like this? I think 99 dollar is a fair price for something like this, the iRidium application costs 160 dollar...
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    yuri wrote: »
    Why won't AMX release something like this? I think 99 dollar is a fair price for something like this, the iRidium application costs 160 dollar...

Who knows why they won't. Why they won't is now irrelevant to us. They're not.

However, as customers for high end, bespoke control systems continue to clamor for automation systems that run on the world's most popular mobile platform, it's getting increasingly difficult to yank AMX out of the locker. We are no longer an AMX exclusive house.

//
    this is the place for someone to tell me that the ABCn123 has sold more units than the iPhone and the iPod touch because sales of only nearly 100 Million of the things makes them pretty peripheral right?
    //
  • Wrong Post
    Hey Dmitry,

I noticed, and it looks nice. Is there a limit on the resolution of the panel?
    I would like to use a TabletPC with your application on it, using a resolution of 1024x768...
  • yuri wrote: »
    Hey Dmitry,

I noticed, and it looks nice. Is there a limit on the resolution of the panel?
    I would like to use a TabletPC with your application on it, using a resolution of 1024x768...

No limit on the resolution - what you set the resolution - this will be.

Regards, Dmitry
    The description says that the app supports audio but I can't seem to figure it out. Any hints on how to get audio out?
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    I just got my evaluation activation key for this last night and am looking forward to testing it out later today.

Is there any chance that we can get you to add in some of the other text commands (like !T) and popup commands (like PPON- and PPOF-)?

I am going to have to go through a bunch of my framework and change the text and popup commands to match up with the ones you have chosen.

Other than that it looks like it will be a good solution. Thanks for the hard work.
  • amdpower wrote: »
    The description says that the app supports audio but I can't seem to figure it out. Any hints on how to get audio out?

Hi Jack!
    Sounds is not yet supported because of detected bug.
    We fixed the error and update the version on Appstor during March.

Regards, Dmitry.
  • the8thst wrote: »

Is there any chance that we can get you to add in some of the other text commands (like !T) and popup commands (like PPON- and PPOF-)?

Yes, added to the list of improvements.

Regards, Dmitry.
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    And the winner is Cres-tron by TKO . . .
    http://residentialsystems.com/blog/40342.aspx

I wonder if AMX is forfeiting the residential market to Cres-tron and they (C-company) is allowing AMX to have the commercial market. It sure feels like it.
  • alexsquaredalexsquared Posts: 166
    Well aint that a shame :(
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    jjames wrote: »

I wonder if AMX is forfeiting the residential market to Cres-tron and they (C-company) is allowing AMX to have the commercial market. It sure feels like it.

why didn't someone say something??? How did this sneak up on us?
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Maybe it's time to make a switch to a company that listens to their dealers and is willing to make an effort to help their dealers stay relevant in todays market place. (resi guys)

You all know I haven't felt the love for a while and some times (most times lately) I get the feeling that they really don't care and they're actually trying to drive us away. Not the AMX folks you help out around here but those suits in their ivory towers. Sometimes I wonder what they smoke up there.
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    ericmedley wrote: »
    why didn't someone say something??? How did this sneak up on us?

Wasn't rocket science to guess it was going to happen.

(Excuse my ignorance if that was supposed to be surrounded be <sarcasm></sarcasm>)
    jjames wrote: »

Uhm, no... iPad apps are the same as iPod/iPhone apps, except for resolution.
    iRidium should run on iPad also...
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    Exactly!

see http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?p=45091#post45091

Cre*tron have done the sensible marketing thing and put out a press release to say their h/w will work with an iPad app, the actual app is the same as the Cre*tron Mobile app, but using the iPad SDK to operate at the correct dual resolutions - 480x320 for iphone and 1024x768 for iPad.

It's a real no news story, that could have a big impact because of the timing and how little info they provide... the message, iPad + ******** is a working solution.

I believe iRidium have already completed testing of their iPad version using the apple emulator and are only now waiting for product to become available.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Isn't all about marketing, they can we can't?

Yes there's iRidium and maybe someday other 3rd party apps but at least Crapstron had the insight to create an app, market it to their advantage and it probably uses the existing Crapstron design/program tools to create the apps instead of some 3rd party hacky approach.

At least they have their foot in the doorway that leads to the futurre and they can develope and expand as the iPad/iPhone (or other devices) grow and expand while other companies (cough, cough) watch their share of the resi market dwindle.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    PhreaK wrote: »
    Wasn't rocket science to guess it was going to happen.

(Excuse my ignorance if that was supposed to be surrounded be <sarcasm></sarcasm>)

I haven't paid for the sarc mark. So, yes it was good ole' american snarkiness and sarcasm.
    I don't get why people got very excited about TouchPanelControl, but are much more dismissive of iRidium.

I've been using iRidium alot, the developers are very responsive to improvements / modifications and are committed to their product...

Yes for some applications I would prefer something branded as AMX, but as I cant have that then I'll get on with working with what I have got...
  • tracktoystracktoys Posts: 46
    Jimweir192 wrote: »
    I don't get why people got very excited about TouchPanelControl, but are much more dismissive of iRidium.

I've been using iRidium alot, the developers are very responsive to improvements / modifications and are committed to their product...

Yes for some applications I would prefer something branded as AMX, but as I cant have that then I'll get on with working with what I have got...

Yes, they are extremely helpful and responsive. Only problem is, I still cannot get iRidium to work. The first issue was that buttons would not display properly (everything showed up square), the issue now is that I cannot upload to the iTouch anymore (wrong IRR file). I have gone back to using webpages for audio zone control again because they work.
    The square buttons arise because the app doesn't use the standard amxbutton Borders, unless you hit the system graphics check box in the wizard. You'll get better results using your own png button images in tp4.

The wrong irr file is prob the result of using the wrong wizard for the app version. If you download the AppStore app, you'll need to download the latest wizard from iridium website.

HTH
    The iRidium app works great and yes, they are very responsive. However after looking at the TPC demo, it appeared to be MUCH further along and ran a TP4 file natively without conversion. It also supported sound. It really appeared to be a drop in replacement that worked as well as G4 panel preview. Hopefully, iRidium will get to that point as well. It seems to be advancing quite quickly and Dimitry seems dedicated to the project.

In other news, C-Tron doesn't seem to have a problem throwing an application on any old web tablet and calling it a C-Tron touch panel. i.e. The TPMC-8X that I just loaded last week that got a random Windows BSOD out of nowhere. Man do I hate Windows... That's for another discussion I guess. Long live Linux!
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    amdpower wrote: »
    Long live Linux!

To continue your offtopicness: while I am a Linux guy (run Gentoo as primary home OS, and hopefully soon also at work with AMX stuff via WINE), and have too had my share of bad experiences with the 8X such as bluescreens and unbootable volumes, I've had overall better experiences with it than with the MVP-8400. The only saving grace of the Most Verily Poo is G4, which is mostly way better than VTPro-e stuff... but I also have full system access to the TPMC-8X. I don't even have a user shell on an MVP-8400.

Ok, Ok, I hacked the Cressy firmware to get there. Bluetooth hardware works (all drivers and hardware are present) and I was able to pair a bluetooth headset, phone, keyboard and mouse to it. Would've played Starcraft on it, but the video chipset doesn't support 640x480 at all... I did run Starcraft on a brand new TPMC-17-CH though, and on both panels, replaced IE6 with Firefox ;)

I was intending on getting a Linux distro on an 8X, but left the company before I had spare time to try it.

Re: iphone, etc... I really have no interest. Too bad all these expensive clients do have interest and seem to be nearly exclusively using the device. I'm in an all AMX, mostly residential shop now, so if I do get a client that wants something, I'll make myself feel comfortable quickly writing a web interface to get things done...