Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

AMX iPhone app

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    TurnipTruck wrote:
    Without any prompting he said the following, "I won't need to buy single-purpose touchscreens anymore. I'll just velcro iPads to the walls. If they fall and break, I'll just buy new ones."
    Great! You went and said it out loud, now they'll never release the app. :) And if they do it will be the watered down version.
  • amdpoweramdpower Posts: 110
    Well, I wonder how much input AMX gave them in the design of the App. I REALLY hope it isn't watered down.

And anyway, AMX will still be making money on the software and don't forget about the custom AMX iPad Velcro Mount that's available for only $799.00! Seriously though, anybody ever look at what $600.00 MSRP buys you for an MVP-TCS-52-GB? When I first saw one, I laughed for about 3 seconds and then started to get a little pissed.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Be very happy that you are a programmer. Your job is way more secure than those who live on hardware sales alone.
    amdpower wrote:
    Seriously though, anybody ever look at what $600.00 MSRP buys you for an MVP-TCS-52-GB? When I first saw one, I laughed for about 3 seconds and then started to get a little pissed.
    Yeah, I hear ya! I've never had to heart to mark up the docks and usually just add them in at cost.

On a brighter note I now might be able to salvage a deal that was going south after they added five 5200i to the project (and other stuff) and then choked when I sent them the new total. Of course this from customers who spent $30k on the Foyer fixture and $20k lighting up the glass steps in their stainless steel stairs. Now maybe instead of the 5200i's I can suggest an iPod touch if otherwise there would be nothing.
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Be very happy that you are a programmer. Your job is way more secure than those who live on hardware sales alone.
    It is? The year I got out of college was right after companies figured out they could get workers in a certain Asian country to write code for far less money.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    mpullin wrote: »
    It is? The year I got out of college was right after companies figured out they could get workers in a certain Asian country to write code for far less money.

Far less money and far less quality. Unfortunately the accountants in the US have decided the US doesn't need to lead the world in technology so we should outsource all the innovation to other countries. The US has fallen way behind in tech. But you don't need to worry since those countries will soon be outsourcing it back to the US.
    Paul
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Just chiming in to say yay!

*\0/* *\0/* *\0/*

and thanks for getting on the bus with the iPad/iPhone/iTouch.

will be waiting to see the MSRP myself too.
    You guys see that another iRidium version came out? Dude is moving fast on development! The Youtube video is very impressive and you can download it NOW. Gonna have to take a closer look at this. If anything, it should keep prices down on both apps. Looks like it is turning into a legit competitor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOr379De_ho
  • amdpower wrote: »
    Looks like it is turning into a legit competitor.
    For competition to exist, there should be at least two competitors... We'll have to wait how this phrase sounds when the price and the features matrix of the TPC will be slapped onto the table.
    Until then, the iRidium is indeed maturing fast and has a reasonable price.

And something else... although an iPhone/Pad thread... I think the WinXP feature is the one that gets me. I have been waiting for a proper panel virtualization tool for my testing and this seems to be almost there. And not only for that.
    I hear you on the test bed feature! I've normally got panels laying around but I hate having to change resolutions and such just to load and test code.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    I think the WinXP feature is the one that gets me. I have been waiting for a proper panel virtualization tool for my testing and this seems to be almost there. And not only for that.

Is the XP app currently available? I can convert my panel file to a IRR file but I can't see anything on their website that allows you to turn in into a XP application.
    Paul
    Yes. Just download version 1.4. Convert to IRR and Windows XP. It creates an exe file that you can run.
    Hmmm... Anybody see this? No mention of TPC yet but I never noticed this page. Is it new?
    http://www.amx.com/ui/apple.asp
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Looks as though it's all new, the white paper is dated april 2010. April fools joke? :)

Edit:
    The 'Using Apple Products to Control your AMX System' section only references the NVX and virtual keypad. Nothing exciting here, move along.
  • ProdigalProdigal Posts: 90
    It's all a matter of patience now.

However is strange that AMX uploaded that Apple UI webpage, without mentioning the TPC solution.

If they have it in mind, and it's "almost" there, why not waiting 'till it's actually there? Something's fishy around here.
    But it's also interesting that AMX launched that webpage now, that there is so much discussion on the forums about these applications.

Anyway, did anyone ever take a look at this? http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amlinx-full/id348902788?mt=8

Everyone seems to want to be able to control AMX systems spending $20. Am I the only one seeing some kind of weirdness around? (like buying a ferrari and then fitting in chinese tires cause they'r a lot cheaper)
    excerpt from Savant newsletter today.

Savant Details ROSIE iPad App

iPad app will sell for $9.99 on Apple?s App Store. Authorized Savant dealers should be able to resell iPads.
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    Prodigal wrote: »
    ...Everyone seems to want to be able to control AMX systems spending $20. Am I the only one seeing some kind of weirdness around? (like buying a ferrari and then fitting in chinese tires cause they'r a lot cheaper)
    I don't know of any clients who really LIKE spending money. Some may like shopping but I'm sure they'd rather not get rid of cash to do it. Likewise some may find what they get to be awesome but if they were offered the same thing for half the price, I am pretty sure they won't say "no... keep the price as it is - better yet, raise it for me!"

Hey, the childishly-wordfiltered competitor offers FREE (as in beer) software to use a PC for control. WHY OH WHY AREN'T THEY CHARGING $500 PER LICENSE IS BEYOND ME; THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG IN THIS UNIVERSE!
  • TrikinCurtTrikinCurt Posts: 158
    Seriously? AMX posted a press release saying the work with the iPad because of a VNC Viewer!
    http://www.amx.com/includes/pressrelease-file.asp?release=2010.3.31

Wow, just wow. Thanks god for 3rd party solutions.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    TrikinCurt wrote: »
    Seriously? AMX posted a press release saying the work with the iPad because of a VNC Viewer!
    http://www.amx.com/includes/pressrelease-file.asp?release=2010.3.31

Wow, just wow. Thanks god for 3rd party solutions.

http://amx.com/ui/apple.asp

Read the first paragraph and thought ah nice.. Moved on to the solutions and got left with a peculiar feeling. Like "really amx? I mean seriously REALLY?!".

This is the most controversial way of doing it.

The procedure for a customer would be.

Unlock iPad, select App, connect to pc, connect to nxv-300 control it.

Way to go amx -.-'

Why not stick with the iPod/iPhone/iPad UI? I'm rather curious about that. People know how to operate that when they carry an iPod/iPhone(/iPad).

Thanks but no thanks amx, I'll just write my own apps for iPod/iPhone/iPad so that clients still get a custom solution :).

BTW if you guys wanna dive into Objective-C I'd recommend "Programming in Objective-C 2" it's a good read, even if you're unfamiliar with programming. http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Objective-C-2-0-Developers-Library/dp/0321711394/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270197889&sr=8-1
    So, I just read AMXs email press release titled, "AMX Interfaces With Apple Products In Many Ways: Comparing Apples to Apple"

it reminds me of one of my favorite sayings:

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success."

I just hope my boss doesn't read it.
    AMX Interfaces With Apple Products In Many Ways: Comparing Apples to Apple
    What I find funny about this line is that they're not comparing apples to apples based on what the rest of the article says. Just cux AMX is getting a little fruity doesn't make them an apple and definitely not if a dedicated app is what an apple is to be defined as. AMX's current solutions are more like lemons, sure you can eat them but they're sour as hell and not intended to be eaten by themselves. So right now I consider it comparing lemons to apples if that's the game we're going to play.

The $50,000.00 question is why publish this annoucment? Why no mention of the TPC solution if that is indeed going to come to fruition (fruit theme)? I just don't get it! As soon as I start getting that warm fuzzy feeling back they seem to do things that just boggles my mind, that seems to defy logic and makes me question what direction this ship is heading and if anyone with intelligence has the con?
  • TrikinCurtTrikinCurt Posts: 158
    I am glad to hear you guys feeling the same way. I have seen so many in the industry trying to defend $8k touchpanels, they just don't make sense in resi anymore. I am waiting for people to start asking if the AMX panels have multi-touch...
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    Patience...

I'm pretty certain that the TPC announcement is genuine. They've stuck an AMX quote on their site after all, and it's still there.

But why AMX would choose to remind the world of their half-hearted approach to Apple integration ahead of having anything credible to throw into the mix is somewhat of a mystery. At least they didn't dig out the Apple remote .irl file... I'm going to remain unhassled by this and enjoy my Easter. Think happy thoughts everyone. Much like Morpheus; I Believe.
  • philg5140philg5140 Posts: 13
    iPad with iTeleport

No surprises here. Just installed iTeleport on my iPad and works exactly like iPhone. Will probably use it more over next few days and see how it fits in to my system design. If only AMX would stop dragging their feet and let us know what's going on with TPC.

Just as an aside, I only bought the iPad for AMX integration but it's been 24 hours and I'm starting to get it. There might be a use for this thing after all.

Cheers
    I must have missed it

Julie Jacobson on Twitter
    #AMX on #iPad: margins on dedicated touchscreens "will not disappear" co. already embraces app model for its own gear http://bit.ly/asS1F9

CE Pro have been doing a LOT on the iPad including getting the views of the Automation industry's major players. I went to Julie's piece, where I found this
    Andrulis says the iPad will not make dedicated touchpanels obsolete, saying he expects ?most customers will still want the functionality and convenience of a dedicated touchpanel.?

Andrulis points to AMX's Modero touchpanels. Those units are specifically engineered for control system integration, offering functions like advanced wireless security and various form factors.

AMX already has a home automation app for the iPhone and says "nothing new will be required? for an iPad app.

AMX has already taken on a bit of the Apple business model in the UI Resource Center on its Web site. The company has offered user interface apps for years, including G4 ComputerControl, i!-Weather, PictureFrame, TakeNote and widgets like Analog Clock, Calculator, Messenger, and Notes.

?Our approach remains to give our customers the solutions they want," Andrulis says. "AMX historically has been an advocate of open-standards based platforms allowing for simpler technology integration and greater user choice."

I'm getting a bit confused. Is there anyone from AMX reading this able to give us some clarity? I'm pretty certain you guys do not have a home automation app for the iPhone right now.
  • alexsquaredalexsquared Posts: 166
    TrikinCurt wrote: »
    I am glad to hear you guys feeling the same way. I have seen so many in the industry trying to defend $8k touchpanels, they just don't make sense in resi anymore. I am waiting for people to start asking if the AMX panels have multi-touch...

Especially since the V series from C-tron now offer "gestures."
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Especially since the V series from C-tron now offer "gestures."

Are they the only ones? I see a lot of people in this thread that I suspect would like to offer a gesture :(
  • alexsquaredalexsquared Posts: 166
    mpullin wrote: »
    Are they the only ones? I see a lot of people in this thread that I suspect would like to offer a gesture :(

To my knowledge they are the only ones. There's a demo on their site showing how you can scroll through icons, media libraries, etc, in an "apple like" manner, by sliding your finger across the panel. Looks pretty cool. Sure with the MVP-8400 could do that.
  • bwestlakebwestlake Posts: 82
    Check it out

Check out the copyright at the very bottom of the TPC site.

http://www.touchpanelcontrol.com/
    Gestures from the C comp[any
    To my knowledge they are the only ones. There's a demo on their site showing how you can scroll through icons, media libraries, etc, in an "apple like" manner, by sliding your finger across the panel. Looks pretty cool.

Had a chance to play with one at ISE in Feb. Felt like a partial implementation, certain screens , certain areas of screens. I suspect unless you do it properly it will just feel annoying to anyone used to an iPhone. TPs themselves were quite nice however.