Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

AMX iPhone app

Comments

• ProdigalProdigal Posts: 90
    bwestlake wrote: »
    Check out the copyright at the very bottom of the TPC site.

http://www.touchpanelcontrol.com/

Even the company logo has changed now, for more of an AMX stylish design.

Thing is, they could be doing all this by themselves to keep the interest up, or AMX did bought that company and will slowly shut them down.. postponning the launching until everyone just moved on and lost faith.

Like CeProd said: "AMX already has a home automation app for the iPhone and says "nothing new will be required? for an iPad app."

Nothing new will be required... I think this can wrap up things quite nicely
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    To my knowledge they are the only ones. There's a demo on their site showing how you can scroll through icons, media libraries, etc, in an "apple like" manner, by sliding your finger across the panel. Looks pretty cool. Sure with the MVP-8400 could do that.

Yeah it could, but it wouldn't be smooth (C-Tron's way isn't smooth either). Afaik the panels don't sport the needed tech to pull it off like apple does. (namely smoothly).
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Prodigal wrote:
    Thing is, they could be doing all this by themselves to keep the interest up, or AMX did bought that company and will slowly shut them down.. postponning the launching until everyone just moved on and lost faith.

From the TPC web page:
    A Press Release is due from AMX next week.
    I wonder if that recent release "Apples to Apples" was the release they were talking about. If so that would pretty much be the kiss of death.

If it was I think AMX just hit a new low but I don't think even as screwed up as I think some of their recent decisions have been they would do that. I think there are a lot of dealers already on the fence between continuing with AMX or moving to other solutions and to do this would cost AMX a lot of once loyal dealers. If a company plays games with their dealers, most dealers won't stand for it and I think AMX is smart enough to know that.

Like CeProd said: "AMX already has a home automation app for the iPhone and says "nothing new will be required? for an iPad app."

Nothing new will be required... I think this can wrap up things quite nicely
    I'd like to think AMX is just trying to diminish expectations so that when it's released we'll be happy with what ever we get. Unforntunately this makes me think of a watered down version but maybe, just maybe they want to blow us away with a really full featured app that will set them apart from the rest in this market and leave AMX holding the bar so high that the competiotion can't reach it. :) I think there's still hope!
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    I'll be tinkering with iRidium soon.
    Clingpeach wrote: »

Yes I did linked this one before on this thread, dunno who wants to dip in and test it.
    Didn't found much information about it on the internet either. They just have a youtube clip online.

As for TPC, they have updated theyr webpage, has a new pic there now. If only it was true.. :P
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    OK, who wants to be the guinea pig?

I tried this a long while back - it works! Just buttons and all defined in the app setup. Very very basic. Think of it like Virtual Keypad but as an app.

It's ok for advanced technical users, but as the user has access to channel numbering it is very easy to screw with!
    Jimweir192 wrote: »
    I tried this a long while back - it works! Just buttons and all defined in the app setup. Very very basic

I have found no instructions anywhere.

Can you define channel ports and numbers for the buttons?

Can you put your own text on the buttons?
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    iainshaw wrote: »
    Much like Morpheus; I Believe.

I second this thought. I believe in AMX and I patiently await the real announcement that must be on the way. Now excuse me while I go take this Red pill.

Jeff
    Can you define channel ports and numbers for the buttons? Can you put your own text on the buttons?

Don't have it installed right now, but if I recall in the app settings you switch each button in a grid (as per the app-store image) either on or off (show or hide), you can name each button and assign a channel number (don't think ports were available).

there is a single line of variable text and you can switch between either a black or white background (with buttons to match / reversed).

I'd save the $20!
  • amdpoweramdpower Posts: 110
    Well... I guess it is official! Anybody see this?

http://www.amx.com/includes/pressrelease-file.asp?release=2010.4.6
    amdpower wrote: »
    Well... I guess it is official! Anybody see this?

http://www.amx.com/includes/pressrelease-file.asp?release=2010.4.6

The RED pill WORKED! :) Cool, now I just need TPC to announce it and Apple to make it available on iTunes :)

Jeff
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    From press release:
    Apple? iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad? to transform into a fully
    functional touch panel for controlling AMX system platforms.
    For all those agnostic types see what a little faith can bring.

Also have you guys noticed the view counts on this thread, over 7,550 when I last looked. So you can see there is some serious interest in how this was going to end. Fortunately for us it ended with what appears to be everything we could ask for and probably a few things more.

Since we've already played out the $50,000.00 dollar question how about the $64,000.00 question, how much? I'll be happy if it's under $500.00 cuz I do want AMX to make money so they can hire some new suits but that's another story.
    vining wrote: »
    I'll be happy if it's under $500.00 cuz I do want AMX to make money so they can hire some new suits but that's another story.

I don't think that it can compete with the competition (Iridium) for much more than $150 unless there are some serious benefits that are not supported by Iridium. Now, if AMX Tech support is going to assume responsibility for supporting the TPC app and AMC develops specific support for the app in the processors to add things such as true multi-touch and enhanced support in TPDx, then I might consider paying more. I am willing to pay a premium for an AMX authorized solution that will give me confidence and reduce my personal effort required to integrate. If the premium outweighs the benefits tho, business and the economy dictates that I explore other options.

On a separate note, I had a meeting with the owner and our sales staff today. There is a VERY STRICT rule in place that we will NOT install or sell a job that does not have at least 1 wired AMX panel. With the very reasonable pricing of some of the newer small wired panels and the reliability they bring, it makes no sense to exclude them completely. The always on, always there aspect is just too important.

Jeff
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    I couldn't agree with you more Jeff, the true value of software definitely lies in it's level of support and maintainability. No matter how awesome a product is people (generally) will not buy it unless there is some guarantee it will be maintained and there is someone to speak to / yell at when it doesn't work. If AMX can provide full tech support for the app its not a massive overhead for them, but it will greatly increased the products perceived value.

That being said, I still don't believe it will reach the $500 price tag, $300 ($299, after marketing do their thing) would be about the sweet spot in my books. At that price point there is still a pricing gap between the device physical device (iPad) and the software and it will give relatively good returns to both AMX and the TPControl guys. If you assume that for every license sold tech support received a please help me set it up call that maybe went for around the 15 minute mark $50 - $75 of that purchase price would cover it and allow a bit of leeway for future support issues (ie. breaks on iPad firmware / NetLinx master update).
  • joshjjoshj Posts: 4
    just waiting on TPControl to release their app to push the TPD files................
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    I've lost patience with this

I'm writing this in the hope that someone from AMX will come on here and clear this up. I'm a small UK resi dealer. I did ?27k with AMX in the first quarter this year and I'm sure you couldn't care less about me. No gripes with the UK/Europe office (good guys), I'm just guessing you've got different priorities.

Can someone answer me this question? Why are we pinning our hopes on a third party solution anyway? I am sick and tired of reading stupid press releases justifying crappy answers to the iPhone / iPod touch. Why does it need a third party solution to give us an option for the market with 100,000,000 devices out there? If AMX want to release a solution then do this; code it, test it and release it. If AMX doesn't want to do anything about it, then tell us and we can all go off and do something else.

I'm sorry, I've just had enough of this. If you "welcome"and want to embrace the iPad then do something about it. That doesn't mean issuing disingenuous press releases. How many loyal supporters do you think you have?

Sorry about this post, I'm just livid.
    Iain, I'm afraid I'm with you on this - I've never seen anything like this from AMX or anyone else. If there is a product - get it out there or at least issue detailed specs and pricing so we can go about our businesses - the last 2 weeks (on top of the last 3 months) have been a joke.

TPC made a lot of public waves with their pre Jan publicity, which unfortunately means this whole saga has been played out in public ever since.
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    http://touchpanelcontrol.com/trials/

here we go! :)

/me is excited!
  • JeffJeff Posts: 374
    Excited as well. I'm all signed up, here's hoping it doesn't take too long :)

iRidium has been working just fine for me, but I'm really excited about an official solution
    yuri wrote: »
    [url]
    here we go! :)
    [/url]

Reminded me of when you are on the top of a rollercoaster just about to get the fun started!
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    Signing up as well :)
    Prodigal wrote: »
    Reminded me of when you are on the top of a rollercoaster just about to get the fun started!

that was the idea :p
    ohhh, got accepted for the pre-release :D
    joy-joy!
    Me too! :)
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Ditto.....
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    Our company was rejected.

I guess we aren't good enough to be honored a request to try by a limited-use third party product. Ah well.
    One word of advise guys... it's not politcally correct to talk about beta programs in public places. You may not be as likely to get selected next time. Loose lips can sink ships.
    Actually, according to the email I got they ENCOURAGED discussing it with colleagues and specifically on the FORUMS! Just said to keep it out of the media. :)