Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

IPAD IS NOW COOL

I have my pool panel set up on IPAD (goodbye MVP 8400i), i have remote set up on my IPAD (goodbye LAPTOP at the pool) and i can operate my Itunes at my pool through my 6 pool speakers (goodbye flaky ESCIENT mp3's)..
Its a bit cumbersome to go from TP Transfer to Remote but its working GREAT

Comments

• BrallenBrallen Posts: 25
    I think it would be cool for you to give me your old gear.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    How quickly is you iPad connecting to the master upon starting the ap?
  • ClingpeachClingpeach Posts: 156
    I would say a good 8 seconds...it gives the beep when connected. I have downgraded my wireless access points to B and G..as N wouldnt work with my other mvp panels (so bizarre in this day and age). Also Im sure you know IPAD have yet to update their fix for their wireless issues so im hoping it gets better
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    Do they have a good docking station for iPads? Is there an in-wall system yet? Or even an in-wall with ethernet or anything like that?
    None of that needed..its not ETHERNET..its wifi/3g
    Clingpeach wrote: »
    None of that needed..its not ETHERNET..its wifi/3g

I'm not saying it's needed, I'm just saying it'd be nice to have. Ethernet is almost a must when it's in-wall because the signals get blocked.
    Neiru (sp) do you have any idea what an Ipad is? Kindly see specs
    Neiru (sp) do you have any idea what an Ipad is? Kindly see specs

Nerieru mind you.

I know what a iPad is. I'm asking if there's someone who made a docking station, much like they do for iPods/iPhones. If you know what walls can do to wifi then you would know why I asked in the first place.
    Its AN iPad mind you yourself. Go start your own thread. Please dont hijack myne.
    There is no PLACE for ETHERNET in MVP..(nor in its docking stations) and if you paid any attention to the thread it was about replacing my MVP..no ETHERNET involved ONLY wifi..
    Ok im done you are rude and uneducated and NO I dont care to learn to spell your NAME...MIND YOU...how obnoxious
  • truetrue Posts: 307
    Clingpeach gets an A- in reading comprehension, and a B+ in professionalism. Here's a gold star. Congrats! Ready for the second grade?
    Nerieru gets a C in getting his point across
    true gets an F in jokes
    Thanks I will take the grade as a pass...
    Im not a professional so the B+ is a good grade...
    I think the joke deserves an A++
    true wrote: »
    Clingpeach gets an A- in reading comprehension, and a B+ in professionalism. Here's a gold star. Congrats! Ready for the second grade?
    Nerieru gets a C in getting his point across
    true gets an F in jokes

Always with the sarcasm.
    Its AN iPad mind you yourself. Go start your own thread. Please dont hijack myne.

I'm just asking you a question
    There is no PLACE for ETHERNET in MVP..(nor in its docking stations) and if you paid any attention to the thread it was about replacing my MVP..no ETHERNET involved ONLY wifi..

My point wasn't about the MVP, as I'm not trying to compare the two.
    Ok im done you are rude and uneducated and NO I dont care to learn to spell your NAME...MIND YOU...how obnoxious

I was in no way trying to be rude. I'm asking you a question, whether you have it docked or not, if there even is a dock for it and if there is. Does it have an ethernet connection.

What is rude however, is not getting someone's name right and then saying you don't care. Calling someone uneducated isn't exactly nice either.

ipad_vibrator.jpg

Now easy tiger

I think it's nice that you replaced an old 8400i with an iPad. And I hope for you that you will get iPhone OS4 soon so that you don't have to wait for it to connect every time.

Edit: tags don't work?
  • svTechsvTech Posts: 44
    iPad Dock - Price is right

Hmmm, will this work?

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/13/the-5-ipad-dock/

You could always add an Access point connected to an Ethernet cable directly behind this dock.

Just a thought. : )
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    In-Wall Dock

Sonance plans an in-wall iPad dock with connections for control and AV similar to their iPod dock. It doesn't look like wired ethernet is contemplated.

Others will inevitably follow from other manufacturers.

Sonance says their patents on their dock for the iPod extend to all media devices and everyone making an in-wall dock for anything electronic will have to pay them. Sounds wildly overreaching to me, we'll see.
    John i live in a rather large residential home and I dont have any issues with wifi. (Only power strikes). There is NO POINT to having ethernet for an IPAD..it defeats the purpose which is why i was so exasperated with the above user who kept asking about it. Its whole purpose is to be portable. Otherwise USE SOMETHING ELSE
    John i live in a rather large residential home and I dont have any issues with wifi. (Only power strikes). There is NO POINT to having ethernet for an IPAD..it defeats the purpose which is why i was so exasperated with the above user who kept asking about it. Its whole purpose is to be portable. Otherwise USE SOMETHING ELSE
    Your question brought up related questions... and related answers. That's what makes it a forum.
  • ryanwwryanww Posts: 196
    iPads don't have any hardware to support ethernet. The only thing that is available through the iPad Dock Connector is USB, Video, power and audio.

I remember reading somewhere about a company making a wall mount for it which allows you to still access the buttons from the front somehow. I will see if I can find it.

As for as a table top dock, the iPad stand works pretty well. However it doesn't work if you have any case on it, even the apple one which is disappointing. It does pass the dock connector to the back so it charges while on it. You just also should make the designs for a vertical format since it stands upright. I am sure more will come about over the next year.. Its still a fairly new product.
    iPads don't have any hardware to support ethernet

Thank you so much for saying that..whew..you put into a few words whiat ive been trying to explain. Very succinct and precise.
    Clingpeach,

He didn't say it did, he simply asked a question. A simple No it doesn't would have worked fine. No need to cause a scene.
    The MIND YOU caused a scene I asked him if he knew what an ipad was. Anyone who knows what an ipad/iphone is know there is NO ETHERNET capability
    The MIND YOU caused a scene I asked him if he knew what an ipad was. Anyone who knows what an ipad/iphone is know there is NO ETHERNET capability

If everyone knows what an iPad is, how come you're asking me if I know? (btw I have one myself)

I wasn't asking for ethernet on the iPad I was asking for ethernet on the docking station. (like svTech or something similar).

My question was if you applied this or not, here in europe we generally have concrete walls, and sometimes armored walls. In those cases wifi just simply can't get through it and that's when we apply solutions like a dock with built-in wifi, or add wifi by connecting an access point behind the dock.

The scene started far before the 'mind you'. It is rather rude to misspel someones name when you could simply scroll down a bit or copy & paste it.

For reasons not obvious to me you're taking offense because of the question I asked.

Now I hope this issue doesn't prolong itself here any longer and that we can leave it behind us, as I know I will.
  • Nerieru wrote: »
    Do they have a good docking station for iPads? Is there an in-wall system yet? Or even an in-wall with ethernet or anything like that?

http://www.savantav.com/products_ipad_docking_stations.aspx
    along with
    http://www.cepro.com/article/savant_to_discontinue_dedicated_touchpanels

will give more sense to Nerieru's question. When all the control system manufacturers have the "iPad integration" flashing on their main page, and when this causes rethinking of their production lineup, I have to say it is only reasonable to expect more and more peripherals coming in the future that will tap onto the iPad and will still generate revenue.

Well done Savant!
    (Probably this should be split into onother post as Clingpeach recommended, maybe iPad/iPhone integration accessories).
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    http://www.savantav.com/products_ipad_docking_stations.aspx
    along with
    http://www.cepro.com/article/savant_to_discontinue_dedicated_touchpanels

will give more sense to Nerieru's question. When all the control system manufacturers have the "iPad integration" flashing on their main page, and when this causes rethinking of their production lineup, I have to say it is only reasonable to expect more and more peripherals coming in the future that will tap onto the iPad and will still generate revenue.

Well done Savant!
    (Probably this should be split into onother post as Clingpeach recommended, maybe iPad/iPhone integration accessories).

Hmmm, so we should all become Savant dealers but only buy their accessories, then buy the iPADs and just use them with an AMX infrastructure and then if AMX should continue on it's wayward path we'll already be set up as a Savant dealers and we can then easily migrate over to selling their complete line of products. Sounds like a plan! :) How much do you have to buy annually for demo? And what's their annual TS fee?

But seriously they're on the right path and those things are cool!

Savant CEO Bob Madonna cited the 3 million iPads sold in 80 days, comparing that to the estimated 1 million touchpanels the custom industry has sold in more than 40 years.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The Savant system is actually a dedicated Apple computer, it makes sense they would support i-Whatevers out-of-the-box. There is a market for it. We sell Savant and AMX systems (but not both on the same job), depending on the client and what they want. Frankly, I haven't seen that the Savant product works better or is any more reliable than anything AMX ... but it is unquestionably slicker. Makes me wish I had an art department to make panel designs.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    DHawthorne wrote:
    We sell Savant and AMX systems (but not both on the same job), depending on the client and what they want.
    I was only thinking of the Savant accessories with AMX infrastructure. Namely the iPad in wall and table top docks used with iPADs running TPC. I really only know of Savant from what I read here on the forums and have no intention of pursuing their line until I get force out as an AMX dealer. If and when that happens I'll consider pursuing relations with someone on the dark side. Of course Savant isn't really on the dark side since we can use their name with out it being censored so maybe they have the force too and only ******** (C restron) is the on the darkside.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    vining wrote: »
    DHawthorne wrote:

I was only thinking of the Savant accessories with AMX infrastructure. Namely the iPad in wall and table top docks used with iPADs running TPC. I really only know of Savant from what I read here on the forums and have no intention of pursuing their line until I get force out as an AMX dealer. If and when that happens I'll consider pursuing relations with someone on the dark side. Of course Savant isn't really on the dark side since we can use their name with out it being censored so maybe they have the force too and only ******** (C restron) is the on the darkside.

I don't think that's possible ... pretty sure it's all or nothing with Savant. I could be wrong, but I think it's a closed system.
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I don't think that's possible ... pretty sure it's all or nothing with Savant. I could be wrong, but I think it's a closed system.
    The technical documents about the docks at SAVANT show only a power connection, no communication. So, if you can buy them, they will work for anyplace and any system. They -just- power the iPad and have no role in the control system at all. The writeup talks about a notice and actions the system can take if the iPad is removed from the dock, but as there is no wired or wireless connection to the dock, it may be that their iPad app senses the drop of the charging power and passes that as notice it has left the dock. Or something.

The wall dock is sweet, with a magnetic cover that makes the iPad look permanently built in. Anyone know what they charge for that unit? I doubt non-Savant dealers will get to buy it directly anyway.
  • John Nagy wrote: »
    it may be that their iPad app senses the drop of the charging power and passes that as notice it has left the dock. Or something.

The wall dock is sweet, with a magnetic cover that makes the iPad look permanently built in. Anyone know what they charge for that unit? I doubt non-Savant dealers will get to buy it directly anyway.

I am quite sure that the iPod removal will be detected by a microswitch/contact closure. In the specs document an additional CAT5 is mentioned as required for using this feature.
    On the grapevine, the price is said to be $350.

However, judging on the abundance of iPod/iPhone accessories coming from everywhere and available everywhere, it will be probably just a matter of time until somebody will mass produce something like this for a fraction of the price and sell it at 7/11.
    I know there was talk about an iPad in wall solution, so I thought I would share this:

http://www.iportmusic.com/products/cm

The 2000T model will be for the ipad, however it is not listed on their site..

Info from:
    http://www.electronichouse.com/article/iport_adds_in-wall_mounts_for_ipod_touch_ipad/
  • KrobarKrobar Posts: 32
    What is the official IPad software?

I see both "TPControl" and "IRidium". Does TPControl need additional server software?