Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

AMX iPhone app

Comments

• jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I wonder which English they'll stick to. Seeing "programme" is weird. Hopefully they don't come out with an "aluminium" themed graphic set or something. That might just make me mad. ;)

I'm hesitant to see what impact this will have, but it's a step in the right direction in terms of doing what you have to do to keep current with everyone else.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    iainshaw wrote: »
    It's gone past end of business here in the UK. That's all over the UK cos as far we know they might be in Cornwall or in a flat in Aberdeen, but and still we have no news from TPC. I'm sure they'll pitch up. I'm just not sure how much baggage they know they're carrying.

If you've got a global audience of maybe 5000 AMX programmers (and I suspect I'm overstating the case there) you don't need to approach a launch like you're releasing the latest series of Lost...If we don't like it you don't have a product so pissing us about isn't that sensible really.

So you're going to tell your customers that you won't be installing the iPhone app because TouchPanelControl were overly clever about their launch? Customers have the power (money) not AMX programmers.
    Paul
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Just for those not on the mailing list
    To all those awaiting news:

"We are proud to announce that TPControl has become an AMX Authorized Product Partner in advance of their product launch in the coming weeks. More information about this launch and our APP programme will be revealed next week"

Robert Noble
    Chief Technology Officer
    AMX

A Press Release is due from AMX next week - we wanted our mailing list to be the first to know. We would like to thank everyone for their patience, loyalty and passion for our product to date.

Available soon for your iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad from AMX.

Kind regards

The Entire Team
    Touch Panel Control
    www.touchpanelcontrol.com
    PhreaK wrote: »
    Just for those not on the mailing list

I wrote to them asking about pricing. Anyone heard anything about it yet?
    Paul
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Well that was worth the wait and suspense! I applaud AMX for making a wise decision and I don't think they'll regret it. I sort of feel bad for iRidium though but I'll get over it.

This might turn out to be a good year after all since I'm now starting to get back that warm fuzzy feeling for AMX again.
    vining wrote: »
    This might turn out to be a good year after all since I'm now starting to get back that warm fuzzy feeling for AMX again.

You're a finicky one aren't you?

Why don't we have a pool about what the MSRP will be? I say $999.
    Paul
  • amdpoweramdpower Posts: 110
    I say MSRP $299.00
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    While this is good news, I don't quite understand why the need for the staggered, dragged out announcement.

I doubt many care what an APP is right now, perhaps this will be important in the future, meanwhile the big story is there will be an AMX app, the questions remain - when, how much and what can it do...

I understand AMX will announce things when they are ready and that's ok, but surely the whole "more info in the coming days" stuff since January was a daft idea... Either launch your product, or announce your product with availability in 90 days, but not like this.

I'll buy it for some applications, how many will depend on the cost / features.
    Obviously, the delays were due to working out the contract with AMX. AMX will most likely be the sole distributor for the product. I think TPC probably gave as much information as they could during negotiations. Sounds like APP may be something AMX is coming out with that will allow third party developers to create add-ons to Netlinx?? Just a guess. Really have no idea.
  • TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    Blah blah blah... Show me the money.
    a-riot42 wrote:
    You're a finicky one aren't you?

Why don't we have a pool about what the MSRP will be? I say $999.
    That's putting it mildly! :)

Since the NXV-300 hardware/software solution is roughly $999.00 MSRP and AMX had no real developement cost as that for the most part was done by TPC which prior to the partnership had much less overhead and no need to feed the corporate greed I'd say it will be released for $399.00 to $499.00 per license. Still a little steep but they need to make a profit while giving up some sales of TPs.
    Let's all not forget that a certain competitor has an application for $99.00.
  • ProdigalProdigal Posts: 90
    I will imagine that a lot of the functionalities of an AMX touch panel won't be included on this app as well, as this is not to be seen as a main TP, but as an extra feature.

But let's see what will they present us.

My bet goes to 1000?
  • iainshawiainshaw Posts: 133
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    So you're going to tell your customers that you won't be installing the iPhone app because TouchPanelControl were overly clever about their launch? Customers have the power (money) not AMX programmers.
    Paul

Er no Paul...

If you go back to a post I made earlier in this thread I think you'll understand that I rate what customers want well above what AMX programmers want. Why are you so ill tempered?
  • iainshaw wrote: »
    ... so pissing us about isn't that sensible really.
    That's such a cool phrase. I liked it so much I said it out loud to see if I could work it into a conversation, but it doesn't sound as good with my American accent. Dang!

I'm suspecting these are programmers, not marketing guys and in their heads this whole concept of soap opera sounded like a good idea.
    Geeky programmer 1: " Hey do you remember J.R and that American show "Dallas" back in the '80s?"
    Geeky programmer 2: " Yeah! Let's launch our product like that. It'll be wicked awesome"
    Geeky programmer 3: " Yeah! It'll be just like when they release a new Lost episode, and that always works on me!"

:)

And for the record, like Joe I didn't care who shot J.R. either back then, now if it had been Captain Stubing or Mr. Roarke then I would have been glued to the TV...

--John
  • yuriyuri Posts: 861
    MSRP of 150 euros. They can't be any more expensive, because otherwise people will buy iRidium :)
    I'm guessing $599 MSRP. If I'm within $100, I expect to win both showcases.

I'm also guessing that the original designers of the ap did everything they could to make it mimic a G4 panel as closely. I'm going to guess that some of that will be taken away.

As an optimist, I am happy about this and think it will be quite cool.

If the TP Control people secured this deal by dangling the product in front of the market, congratulations to them! They are my heroes!
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Sorry, I?m afraid you overbid so you win neither showcase.

Help control the pet population. Have your pets spayed or neutered.
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    Sorry, I’m afraid you overbid so you win neither showcase.

Help control the pet population. Have your pets spayed or neutered.
    You win the mysterious post of the day award.
    mpullin wrote:
    Bob Barker (retired) of the Truth or Consequences game show.
    why would they limit the functionality??? I want sliders, bargraphs, buttons, the whole #!
    mpullin wrote:
    I assumed that was an allusion to the Price is Right which has been on the air forever and was hosted by Bob Barker for 35 years.

At the end of every show Bob Barker signed off with ?Help control the pet population. Have your pets spayed or neutered.? Drew Carey now hosts and he signs off the same way.

I think the real mystery is why the price has not been released. Although, considering that the product release has been announced more than once (yet we still don?t know when we can actually get it), I suppose I shouldn?t be surprised that we don?t know a price.

The only thing I do know is that my iPad is less than 90 hours away from my front doorstep.
  • glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    What will really be funny is when we find out that the latest announcement is NOT backed and supported by AMX but yet another hoax. April 1 is coming fast!
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    glr-fti wrote: »
    What will really be funny is when we find out that the latest announcement is NOT backed and supported by AMX but yet another hoax. April 1 is coming fast!
    Yeah, when they packed up shop I bought the domain and have just been screwing with you guys :).
    Prodigal wrote: »
    I will imagine that a lot of the functionalities of an AMX touch panel won't be included on this app as well, as this is not to be seen as a main TP, but as an extra feature.

If you saw the video they had on youtube for a while, it looked and operated exactly like a G4 touch panel. Setup pages looked the same and they had the demo touch panel file running that had animations, bargraphs etc. So I am expecting it to look and operate exactly like a MVP panel, perhaps with even smoother graphics. That is why I doubt it will sell for less than $999.
    Paul
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    That is why I doubt it will sell for less than $999.
    If that?s the case that would top the list as the most expensive app in the store.

Personally, I think $999 is way over the top. I don?t know about others but I know I would never pay it. That?s 5x more than the iPhone itself.
    oh snap, i forgot all about april 1st :|
  • jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    For any naysayers, wouldn't you think that if there was no backing to it - someone from AMX would say so on here? I highly doubt AMX would let a "joke" (especially one that uses their name) of this magnitude go this far. I wouldn't worry about it being vaporware.

As far as price - I'll guess $199 MSRP.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    Joe Hebert wrote: »
    If that?s the case that would top the list as the most expensive app in the store.

Personally, I think $999 is way over the top. I don?t know about others but I know I would never pay it. That?s 5x more than the iPhone itself.

Chinese iPhone's I reckon? iPhone costs 575,- here. (without a contract etc). So the device itself costs 575. (Euro)
    I was talking about an AMX iPhone ap with one of my long-time customers yesterday. Without any prompting he said the following, "I won't need to buy single-purpose touchscreens anymore. I'll just velcro iPads to the walls. If they fall and break, I'll just buy new ones."